1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wiring problem with plow/need help asap

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by BAMP, Dec 30, 2014.

1. BAMP

BAMP Junior Member

I've got a 8' straight poly blade on a 97' chev 1500 truck.
    My problem is when blade is in use it drains the batteries.
    Everytime I push button left,right or up battery gauge drops quick.and I noticed a spark when plow frame contacted mount on truck,when hooking blade up.
    I've cleaned all grounds and all look good.
    I was wondering if the ground wire on the truck mount side should be hooked up to the ground on battery or to the frame of truck?
    Any answers would be greatly appreciated. :help:

2. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Spread the pos and ground lugs in the main connector. If you have a good ground at that plug you won't get sparking at the frame. Ground to battery.

3. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

Just as jhenderson9196 said. Check the battery connectors, see if it looks like there was melting in the plug due bad connection. If it is melted you rely should replace both sides. You can get away with spreading the pins but doing that reduces the contact area (increasing heat) but make a tighter contact point. Either way when they get to this point it is just as easy to replace both side of the battery harness.

4. aahicnow

aahicnow Junior Member

Sounds like you have a direct short to ground somewhere, on the plow side. this would explain the spark when you try to hook up. Power is flowing out to the plow and when you hooked up the plow it is trying to return via the plow frame itself instead of the proper ground path. As to when you press the buttons , power is being supplied to the components and then it is trying to return via the easiest path ( in this case the plow frame itself) to the battery. Where you supplying power to anything when it sparked, if not why was there power to the plow without any switches being operated? Do you have a headlight circuit to the plow and the lights where on when hooking up?