1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wiring problem or ?????

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by ohio snowdog, Jan 14, 2009.

1. ohio snowdog

ohio snowdog Junior Member

Hi guys I have a dillima at hand and looking for some insite. I have a 7 1/2' poly blade,running a e 47 pump,using the toggle switch set up. The problem I'm having is that every now and then the thing stops working.at the end of a push or when I go to turn the blade, nothing ! If I give it a couple of minutes it starts working again.Its like its over heating, then when it cools down,it starts working again. I'm not to sure what could be causing this. I have put new 2 gauge power and ground line,new solenoid,new pump motor,I have checked all plug connects and grounds twice over. I checked the plow for any binding causing it to work hard, but all good. I even went as far as to put new hoses and new couplers on incase they were restricking movement.I have changed oil and flushed the system thinking maybe its was causing the pump to work hard and over heat. After all that problem is still there ! Any Ideas or suggestions ?

2. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

When it stops working does it do anything?
    Do you hear the motor?
    Do you hear the solenoid click?
    If you don't at least hear the solenoid click, either the solenoid is bad or it's not getting power. Next time it stops working take a jumper wire from the battery to the small terminal on the solenoid and it should angle left. If it does the problem is in your switch harness or power to the switches.

3. artic429

artic429 Senior Member

I was having the same problem too but it turned out i just had a bad switch.

4. sefh

sefh Senior Member

Check your ground to the pump.
    Check to make sure your solenoid is ground.
    Make sure your connections are clean and tight on both of these. It might be a loose wire also.
    Check your motor. You might have a loose connection or it's overheating or going bad,

5. sefh

sefh Senior Member

Guess I should have read it all. It sounds like you have checked the ground and wires. I would lean toward a motor going bad.. brushes need replacing. It could be a switch also. I have extra's of both. If you need one (used) PM me.

6. ohio snowdog

ohio snowdog Junior Member

Thanks to all for the replies. As for the motor, its brand new too. I have tried putting my old motor back on but it stops working with it too. Today I lifted the plow and ran it back and forth. After about 10-12 times angling it, it stopped. If I give it a a couple minutes it starts working again. I felt the solenoid and it was hot to the touch. It seems like its being overloaded like maybe the motor is drawing to many amps.It too is brand new and I even put on another new one just incase the new one was bad. Still same problem. The grounds are on clean bare metal and are tight. I ruled out a bad switch because neither one works when it shuts down. Is there such thing as the wrong solenoid to use ? I'm using one for a meyers made by S.A.M. I also tried one from napa. I'm leaning towards maybe two bad solenoids. ??? comments

7. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

It's been said several times on Plow Site that you should use a genuine Meyers Solenoid. They are made for a plow's constant use. Others say that they use other brands and get away with it.

8. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

When it stops working are you still getting 12V to the small terminal on the solenoid?
    Are you getting 12V to the pump?

9. SS5800

SS5800 Junior Member
    from eastern

I had the same problem today, we just mounted a used 11 yr old meyers on our 4x4 s10 and it would just work inconsistantly. We went to the local auto parts store, the guy there gave us a solienoid that was made by ford, it works like a charm. And it was only 10.99.

This was bought at advance auto parts. Give that a try.

10. artic429

artic429 Senior Member

Ive always used the off brands and never had a problem at all. Ive heard both sides to this story so i guess its up to you.