1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wiring Pictures?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by '01_1500, Nov 28, 2009.

1. '01_1500

'01_1500 Member

I'm in the process of wiring some floods and warning lights to my Back Rack on my 2003 Chevy 2500HD and I'm having a tough time finding a good way to run the wires so they are hidden and don't look like a sloppy install. The one for the warning light is the worst as I'm using the factory harness that runs out of the 3rd brake light. Does anybody have any tips or tricks to making this install look decent and not like a hack job?

2. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

Why are you running the wires out of the third brake light? You should run them under the truck and up between the cab and the bed.

3. oh8chevy2500

oh8chevy2500 Senior Member

My 08 just got this done if you check out the thread the rig in the truck picture forum I know there is atleast one or two pics of my setup... A dremel and clear rtv was used to seal it up....

4. '01_1500

'01_1500 Member

The factory warning light harness is in the headliner and that's the only way to get it out to my lights. I think that it's more meant for use for roof mounted lights. I would like to use it if possible just because of the switch that is already in the dash.

5. oh8chevy2500

oh8chevy2500 Senior Member

with the factory harness they only give u enough to get to the center of the cab and its meant for an upfitter to drill the roof and grommet/seal it there....solder n heatshrink someends on it to extend it and notch the brake light and add a 2 prong waterproof connector (for ease of removal during summer or what-not)

6. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

There is also a place to run wires out of the back drivers side corner of the cab. Go look between the bed and the cab and you'll see a "vent" looking thing. Run your wires under your dash to your kick panel, then down under the sill plate to the back corner. Remove your rear corner moulding and back panel. This may require you to remove your back bench seat if you have an extended cab (very easy).

If you need pics I can snap a few of my setup, that is as much as I can without taking it apart.

7. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

I ran mine just like RepoMan207 said. it came out really nice and clean. i then wired in a trailer quick connect so that i could remove the back rack in the future if i want easily. i then ran the wires through the backrack and up to a hole that i dril right next to my lights on both sides. i did quick disconnects here too so that i could switch out the lights if i ever need. this is a really easy set-up. the warning light wire should have close to 6 ft once it is removed back the vent. hope this helps

8. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Like the others said, out the back of the cab and up onto the rack.

9. '01_1500

'01_1500 Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I have it all figured out. I can do just about everything there is to do on a truck but wiring has always been my downfall.

10. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

no problem. post some pix of your process and how it turns out. just make sure you use good quality connectors and seal everything up tight