1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wiring motor relay (solenoid)

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by fordmstng66, Oct 24, 2010.

1. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

I am wiring my 96 k2500, with a 3 port module system. I have everything run my dual batteries set, and now i am trying to hook up my solenoid, and i melted the black orange wire going to the solenoid. I am hoping i just have something wired wrong. I have attached a picture of had things wired. The solenoid is a boss i think part number hyd08831, I would think this solenoid would work, that is what i was given when i asked for it, and he the guy new i was putting together a western plow. can someon please help me gigure this out. As soon as i plugged the blk/orange leade from the vehicle battery cable to the blk/orange cable on the vehicle control cable, that is when it started smoking.

[​IMG]

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good possibility the solenoid is defective (shorted internally) because yes you can use a Boss branded solenoid and you had it connected correctly based on your image. Can't help with the rest of the wiring to know it's correct though, just depends on how you did it but it's rather tough to do it incorrectly.

3. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Not to sound stupid but the black orange wire you have hooked to the ground of the battery not the positive?

4. AEI

AEI Member

Should be an orange/black coming off one of the small terminals and also an orange/black but it should go to the NEGATIVE battery terminal, not the positive side. Its the wire that grounds the entire plow harness/ Also you may have smoked the solenoid already as well. I have done it more then once lol

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  5. fordmstng66

Thank you everyone for the comments and help, I have been busy and not been able to work on it, I may just see if my the dealer I have been buying from can hook that part up for me for a small fee after I replace the battery I fried due to stupidity.

6. banonea

banonea PlowSite Fanatic

I have wired up my plow 3 times wrong, it happens

7. fordmstng66

yeah I hear that, I fried my battery because I forgot to tie down my battery to starter cable after replacing the starter upgrading my charging cable and installing dual batteries, on way to have my t-case put in at my buddies shop, the battery cable melted to the exhuast manifold, and shorted out my main battery, now I don't want to take any chances, was new interstate battery.

8. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Hey if you aren't screwing up from time to time you aren't trying to do enough yourself. Happens to the best of us. Gald you have it figured out.