1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wiring lights to spreader???

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by wkahler, Dec 30, 2008.

1. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

Was wondering if it would be OK to add a few lights the wiring on my spreader so that when i turn it on the lights will be on? What i was going to do was get a few tractor lights and just scotch lock them to the wiring in the wiring harness for the feed to the motor, the red and black wires? Let me know what you guys think if its OK then i am ready to rock!

2. fakemam

fakemam Junior Member

I wouldn't for a couple reasons. 1ST when you adjust the speed of your spreader the lights will get dimmer the slower you spread the salt. 2ND you will take power from the salt spreader motor and may mess with your spreader controller.
  3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

3 rd do not use scotch lock's especially around salt .i would run a dedicated power source off of the truck ,with a disconnect plug . :salute:
  4. muskoka sandman

muskoka sandman Junior Member

You could use a relay and have the feed wire to the clutch trigger the relay on for the lights. That is want I am going to do to mine once I get time to do it.
  5. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

Never thought about the dimmer idea..............good idea guys! Well that shots that idea in the foot!