1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wiring light bar questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by thundercat99, Dec 5, 2004.

1. thundercat99

thundercat99 Senior Member

bought a federal signal jet stream 47in

when running primary power to control box how big of an inlinefuse do you need?

could i run power from the fusebox under the hood it has 2 terminals avaible with 30amp maxi fuses

i tried it this way and blew the fuses can i up the fuse to a 40 or is the factory wiring not capable of pulling that large of a load

97 chevy 3500 diesel

2. Foz

Foz Senior Member

You need to have 30 Amp fuse/breaker for the primary rotating lights, any additional lights, such as spot lights, flashers should be on a 15-20 amp fused circuit for each light(s).

3. thundercat99

thats a start

could i just bump up the fuseto a 50 or 60 or how would you seperate additional lights

4. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

Something that big where it blows the maxi under the hood I would wire directly to the battery using 4 gauge to a distribution box and have 4 fused 8 guage wires coming out if it for whatever you need. I never like using factory fuse boxes or underhood post on the hi amp stuff. I would also use a 60 amp circuit breaker that you can reset manually under the hood in line between the battery and the distribution box. Stereo shops have plenty of this stuff...

5. thundercat99

something is wrong

everthing works but when you flip the work light lever,past the first slector it blows the fuse also the center rotator seems to be bound up anyway im checking on these to things tonight i will get back to you guys as soon as i check on thoses to items