1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wiring kits the same?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by terrapro, Jan 21, 2011.

1. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I have a wiring kit that came off an 06' ford and am rigging up a 95' chevy. I thought the wiring from the ford wouldn't work but I can't seem to find seperate part numbers for a chevy. Are they the same between different truck brands?

2. THE05HD

THE05HD Member
    from WI

Boss wiring harness

All wiring kits are the same. The only thing that changes is the headlight adapter kit. The harness you have from the 06 Ford will be the same for the 95 Chev. You just need a headlight adapter kit for the Chevrolet.

3. terrapro

from MI

Thanks, thats what I kinda thought. Now I just need to track down the mounting plates for the push beam.

Do you have to drill holes for these mounts?

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

No, no drilling on the GM's. Although the ford push beam will not work for you. You will need a whole new mount. Most dealers will trade a old mount for a used one or new whichever the customer wants.

5. terrapro

from MI

Yeah I realized that after the fact. Shopping around for one right now. Have a couple on craigslist for $300 but can't get ahold of the guys.

Do you need the angle bracket of the undercarriage? One for sale on CG doesn't come with it and doesn't even have the pieces on the back of the pushbeam to mount it too.

The dealer said I don't need adapters for the lights on the square head light chevys, is this true?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  6. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Ok Guys
    Since we are talking Boss plows lets throw this out. I have a Boss straight blade if I get in a bind can I hook up to my friends V blade and just change controllers???? Also if you have a V can you hook up a straight blade and will it work???

Mike

7. terrapro

from MI

Yes as long as they are the same mounts ie smarthitch or smarthitch2 are different but all smarthitches are the same. They actually advertise that on their website.

Here, straight from the website...

Universal Attachment System
    Different Jobs. Different Plows. One Truck.
    Unlike other snow plow manufacturers whose wiring harness and hitch systems are restricted to operating just one type of plow (straight blade or multiposition), THE BOSS Universal Attachment System and wiring harness allows you to operate any BOSS Straight-Blade or Power-V Plow with the same truck--simply by changing the control. If you own more than one BOSS plow with either the SmartHitch2 or RT3 Attachment System--whether they are Power-V, Straight-Blade or both--one truck can operate all of them.

8. flykelley

Thank You for the info, pretty cool.

Mike

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Depends on whether your harness is an 11 or 13 pin. The 11's already have the connector plugs for the sealed beams so it's plug and play on your Chevy application. However if it's a 13 pin you will require adapters.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Mike you can connect to anything as long as it isn't a Sport Duty or ten footer, they use a different mount spacing.

11. terrapro

from MI

It must be a 13 pin harness then because they are not the same as the back of my headlights.

B&B any thoughts on the lack of angle bracket on the one for sale. I am picking up another wiring harness tomorrow with that chevy undercarriage.

12. terrapro

from MI

Picking up the mount tomorrow just need to know what is up with that....thanks.

13. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

We hooked up a v with a standard controller and it worked, I think just like a straight blade. You could angle left or right just not scoop or v

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it's 13 pin you need adapters. Boss p/n MSC04599 if you have the single rectangular sealed beams.

You need ALL components to the mount. Can't run it with braces or brackets missing...or you'll quickly find the plow UNDER the truck when you run over it. You can buy all pieces that make up a mount individually but be cautious as it can get pricey that way. Don't pay $300 for only half a mount because you'll have as much or more in it than a new (or used complete) one until all pieces are accounted for.

15. terrapro

from MI

I got a quote for $80 for the light adapters from the local place, is that appropriate?

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That's rather pricey, should be closer to $40-$45.

17. terrapro

from MI

Yeah that is what I thought. Ended up asking another guy there and it was all of a sudden $50. Already hooked it up, almost done.

18. flykelley

Ok so if I do borrow my friends V bladeit should work. One question though I looked under my hood and I only have 4 relays wired up. Doesn't a V blade rerquire 6 relays?

Mike

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Relay quantity doesn't matter Mike, if the truck is wired for a Boss it will run any Boss. The relays are only for controller power and headlamp control regardless of how many there actually are.

So if you have a straight, just swap the blade and controller and you're good to go. Thumbs Up

20. flykelley

Thats Music to my ears, have a friend who is loaning me his V blade to see if I like them.

Mike