1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wiring issue

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by trailmix, Nov 23, 2013.

1. trailmix

trailmix Junior Member

I put 2 buyers led work lights on today ran the wiring and went to plug into the switch and nothing..not even my mini bar or hideaways are working now. I didnt change anything with the already installed lighting. Just unplugged the harness and stuff to take down the plastic piece to install the switch and plugged everything back in the right place.

I tested the switch with a battery that was laying around and everything was working..so im thinking the power or ground or both, truck side, is messing up. In the attached picture, is there a fuse for the circled harness? if anyone can tell what it powers..an old buddy of mine spliced into it so im not sure what that harness is for

wiring.jpg

2. chuckraduenz

chuckraduenz Senior Member

looks to be for putting a beacon on the roof. from the plow upgrade option. there should be power and ground wires looped up in between the headliner and the roof.

3. trailmix

trailmix Junior Member

Okay. Yeah there was already a factory switch in the panel. Fisher hooked the mini bar up to it..so that harness is solely for the roof light? Would there be a fuse for it?

I'm just stumped because I get power to the factory switch (little indicator light comes on) butt the bar doesn't light up..

4. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

Use a test light and make sure that you are getting power to all your switches. If you are move from there.......See if power is leaving the switches when on. If you are... go to the light and make sure that you are getting power to the lights.

5. chuckraduenz

what yr model of truck?

6. trailmix

trailmix Junior Member

It's a 2008 2500

7. chuckraduenz

if the light comes on id say there is power to the switch. id check to make shure theres power at the light first. then work back.

8. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like a fuse. Try your 30-Amp S/ROOF fuse #33 which is located in the Underhood Electrical Center. That's quite often the one used for the beacon light on the snow plow prep.

9. trailmix

trailmix Junior Member

That was the culprit, thanks!

10. Mr.Markus

Always my starting point where "no power" is concerned when wiring. Know what circuit you're on. Glad it was easy...

11. chuckraduenz

that's odd ida thought that if the switch indicator light came on the fuse was good.....

12. Mr.Markus

When he asked "is there a fuse for the circled harness?" it was a tip off it hadn't been checked....