1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wiring issue

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by fury0us, Oct 29, 2011.

1. fury0us

fury0us Junior Member

I removed my boss rt3 v-plow from my 98 dodge ram 2500, working fine. Now I installed it on my 2002 ram 2500 and The controller won't turn on and the headlights on the plow will not work. I have power to the controller. Seems that the brown ground wires all have power now. Anyone ever had this issue? Any idea's. where do the brown wires get there ground? is it the truck headlight harness that they get the ground from.
    thanks,
    Chris

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

3. fury0us

fury0us Junior Member

mine is a regular smart hitch not the 2 and it doesn't show a brown on the diagram.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Did you wire the switch properly.
    Where is your brown wire coming from if it doesn't show one.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

13 pin harness I'll assume? And if so as CET said you should have connected a brown to the neg battery terminal. If you didn't, or connected it elsewhere that would be your issue.

7. fury0us

fury0us Junior Member

never removed the switch from the harness.(but I double checked it anyway) Same way it worked perfectly in my old truck.
    The brown goes to the controller and each of the headlight plugs. they all come together in the harness. So I am trying to figure out where they are supposed to ground. I don't see any other browns coming out of the harness and I don't remember remoing it from the other truck. I only took it out 2 weeks ago.

8. fury0us

fury0us Junior Member

the regular smarthitch shows no brown wire going to the battery. ( the links you guys sent are for smarthitch2)

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

It shows no brown wire any where for a smarthitch in the manual.

10. fury0us

fury0us Junior Member

it is in the 9 pin connector that goes to the controller and it connects to all the headlights. they all come together in the harness.

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

That is a wire that you can't get to. I am going to guess you wired your headlights wrong. There is a A and B side to the connectors on my Boss, do you have them the right way around. To get power to a ground you have to have something wired wrong.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

So obviously now it is 11 pin. You have the wrong headlamp adapters. And on your two applications (98 to 99-02 Dodge) when that happens it back feeds though the plow harness and causes the issues you're having because the 98 was negative common on the headlamps system and the 99-02's are positive common.

13. fury0us

fury0us Junior Member

I thought that might be the issue. I will check with my boss dealer tomorrow.
    thanks, I will let you know how I make out.

14. fury0us

fury0us Junior Member

Well looks like they do not make a adapter for my truck.
    going to have to do some creative wiring...or spend the money and convert it to 13 pin

15. fury0us

fury0us Junior Member

anyone ever converted a 11pin to 13?

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Which headlamps does the 02 have? HB1's- or HB1 and HB5 quad beams (Sport)?

17. fury0us

fury0us Junior Member

hb1 9004 non sport

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Then you simply need the MSC04287 headlight adapters for the 11-pin harness. No need to switch to a 13-pin.

19. fury0us

fury0us Junior Member

Hmm..the dealer told me they don't make one for a 11pin my year

20. fury0us

fury0us Junior Member

Looks like that should work...love the fact that the parts guy and the tech could not find that.
    Thank you for the help.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011