1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wiring in aux lights using factory aux switches- 2016 F350

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mkwl, Jan 4, 2016.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Hey Guys-

New to the Ford world- I'm looking to wire in two auxiliary LED backup lights into the rear bumper of my new 2016 F350 gas pickup. Can someone shed some light on where to tie into the factory switches? Relays in place already?

Thanks!

Matt

2. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

3. RMGLawn

RMGLawn Senior Member

Use the pass through wires in the engine bay too so you don't have to go through the firewall.

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Matt, do you want them to come on with just reverse or do you want to control when they come on.

5. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Is that new? I always used the ones under the dash. Of course I always had many kind words for the bean counter at Ford who decided that and extra inch or so of wire would be too costly too.

6. RMGLawn

RMGLawn Senior Member

You still have to connect the pass through wire to the aux switch, but you only have to bring the light wires to the fuse box area under the hood as they are stuck back there on the harness.

7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

It's a game they play called "hide and short". One of the best thing Ford ever did and made it a b!tch to find and connect!

The 2017's will have 6 switches up by the dome light, can only guess where they put the wires.

8. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I had them come on just in reverse on the last truck but I'd really rather them be on all the time when I switch them on to help illuminate the back of the truck a little better when we're salting, shoveling, etc.

9. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

So if I'm understanding this correctly, all I have to do is run a ground, run a wire up the frame rail into the engine bay, connect to one of the four wires taped off near the fuse block, flip the switch and voila? Or is there another connection that needs to be made in the cab?

10. RMGLawn

RMGLawn Senior Member

Whatever wire you tap into in the engine compartment, that same color wire needs to be connected to whatever aux switch wire you choose under the dash by the emergency brake pedal as well.

Then flip the switch and bam.

Also if you mount the lights to a metal part just ground the negative to the bolt for the light.

11. Brian Young

You'll have to complete the loop so to speak like RMGLawn said. If your just running a couple led lights I'd just use one of the 15 amp switches and save the bigger ones for something else.

12. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I was getting ready to ask the same question. Bought a 2016 f 250 last month and had the same question. Dealer told that the 3 and 4 switches are 30 amp? Also I need side steps, what's good?

13. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

I have mine wired so that they come on whenever the vehicle is put into reverse, but also through one of the upfitter switches so that I can turn them on and use them as work lights and for spreading. I didn't do the work, my upfitter did it when they built the truck and I can tell you that they had to play with it quite a bit and even install some relays or something as well in order to get it all to work properly. Because I have a backup alarm on my truck, it took some work in order to get it to work correctly without the alarm sounding every time I flipped the switch on.

14. Brian Young

I went to runningboard warehouse for my steps. great prices and selections.

15. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

If it's like the 2015, you will find a bundle of 8 wires under the dash to the left side of the steering column. 4 of those are the pass through wires. Then tucked up even further you will find 4 wires that are connected to the auxiliary switches. And yes, another couple inches of wire would have been nice.

16. 04fordf350

04fordf350 Junior Member
    from RI

is it like that on an '11 too? I saw the bundle below the Aux wires but i thought those were for a high idle control. And where exactly are the pass through wires located in the engine bay? I could never find those.

17. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

On mine they were between the fuse box and the firewall. And weren't easy to find.

18. 04fordf350

04fordf350 Junior Member
    from RI

ok thanks. If i have to do anything else i will look for them again. I ended up just cutting into the grommet and running wires through there.

I also drilled a hole underneath the truck right next to the door sill. Makes a perfect place to run many wires because of the harness and cable management trays that are under the door sill plate.