1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wiring help

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by wideout, Nov 25, 2012.

1. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

So i just finished getting my 2011 2500 ram all outfitted but when i hook up to the plow the controller just flashes. Its a 2 plug system and i did try a different controller and it does the same thing but it works with my other plow so i guess i hooked up something wrong, I did go back over all the wiring and it seems to be right. any ideas?

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Have a look at the owners manual at page 53 http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdf/49513.00_081511_for_Web.pdf If the controller is flashing then that is an error code. Flashing fast or slow? Sounds to me like you have a security code programed into your system and you have to re-enter that code. Also might be "no communication" but depends on the speed of flash. There are two small pins in the big power plug at the grill, be sure that is undamaged. And there is also a little black four pin plug that connects the controller harness to the power cable near the battery. This plug is the same as the one that connects to the headlight harness further up the line. Make sure you didn't mix these two up. The plug at the end of the harness goes to the battery cable and is marked with a tag that says "Batt" but that may be missing if the unit is used.

3. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Mishnick thank you for the advise you give to all of us on here you are one of the most helpful on here. I had if fixed before i got to read your post as i went back through the wiring diagram again and found my mistake. But you are correct i had the two plus that look the same mixed up the harness one and the battery one. What a f*** tard!!!

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I have to confess the only reason I suspected that is because I have made that mistake myself. My pleasure to help out. I benefit from the challanges too. What I learn here I apply at work every day and that makes me $$$ Thank you!

5. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Still cant beleive i missed it twice but oh well it happens just frustrating. did good tho had the mount and harness all in the truck in 2 hours 45 minutes maybe i should've takin more time with the wiring. lol