1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wiring help please

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by schalid, Jun 29, 2014.

1. schalid

schalid Junior Member
    from na

I have a 7'6 mid straight ultramount. Bought in 2005. I want to be able to use it on my 99 Silverado 2500. I have it on a 03 GMC sierra now. I have the mounts on for the 99. Mine is 4 port 3 plug. I was wondering if I could get the power cable, solienoid , and control harness, if it would work without a isolation module on the 99? I don't care about lights. Just want plow to work.
    Thanks.

2. mn-bob

mn-bob Senior Member

Welcome to the site .

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

You could. But youd have to hot wire the lights with a switch. And hotwire the plow wires to the plow from the clicker. Might just be easier to usr the ISO

4. schalid

schalid Junior Member
    from na

I don't want to hook lights up. That's why I was wondering if you could just hook up power cord and control harness. Is the module just for lights?

5. dieselss

Yes and no. The clicker sends info the the ISO and then the ISO sends its back out to the plow. You could bypass it. But that's probunf wires and wiring diags
    What's the big deal with buying an ISO for tbe New trk? And you'd have to hotwire the wiring to turn on the clicker.
    If your so dead set on it, might just better to get a unimount wiring harness.

6. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I'm thinking he just needs new headlight adaptors for what he has? They changed the polarity One year in gm and I don't remember when

7. schalid

schalid Junior Member
    from na

Well I thought it would be easier and cheaper to eliminate the iso. The way it is a power harness and control harness are over $200.

8. dieselss

So you want all this for the other trk? So you can have 2 trks running one plow correct? Is that the main outcome?

9. schalid

schalid Junior Member
    from na

yep that's the deal. If one is broke down I can use the other. Took out the tranny last winter.

10. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Guess you could switch modules between trucks if you had to

11. dieselss

Might still just be better off bitting the bullet and getting the ISO

12. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

For the amount of electrical jerry rigging its not worth the trouble. The headlight plug on the plow has a loop back connection that tells the isolation module to activate the controller. Without the headlight part of the wiring and the isolation module the plow controller will not power up. I agree with the guys above, will be less trouble to just install the whole package and make it right.

Another consideration..... Are these two trucks going to have the same configuration height? If the truck side mounts don't sit at the same height (within that config option range) then your a-frame is not going to be parallel to the ground on the new truck. There are four bolt positions on the rear of the a-frame that have to be set to match the truck. If you run your plow on two different trucks with different heights you will wear the cutting edge round and the attack angle of the cutting edge will be wrong so it won't scrape as nice. If the a-frame slops up to the truck (when the plow is on the ground) it will lift the truck front end when you strike a pile. If it slops down the front end will be pushed down. People do swap plows between trucks but it only works well between trucks with mount heights that are very close to each other. Just some food for thought....