1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wiring help on Whelen edge bar

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

First, I hope this is the right forum for this.....move if necessary

Okay, I am getting a used Whelen Edge bar next week. It is a 48" bar with two front and two rear flashers and 4 corner strobes. My question being how the heck do you hook this bad boy up??? The guy told me I need only 2 swtiches for it. I have the button for the auxillary lights in my truck, so in reality I only need one other switch for it, correct?? How would I run power to this thing and what size fuse, etc would I be needing?? Is there anything I am missing?? I never messed with strobes before so this will be my first go at it, just dont wanna mess it up!! It also comes with 15 feet of cable too. If you have any diagrams or what not, it will be greatly appreciated!!!:waving:

Here is a pic of the bar

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  2. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

2 switches would give you the most flexibility. Either you can run all the front lights and back lights separately or run the flashers and the strobes separately.

Or if you just want the whole thing to light up at once, your single switch should work as long as it can handle the load.

A visit to the Whelen website may answer all your questions.

3. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

When you get that bar look at the end of the wiring harness. There should be 1 big black wire. Thats the ground wire. The rest of them just hook up to a 12 volt source and the bar will light up. When you run your switches put them in a place that is easly accessable. Then once you have found a spot to mount them run a wire from a 12 volt source to the swtich. When I hook up all my stuff I run it from a fuse that doesn't allow power until the key is turned on. You know the radio fuse or something like that. Make sense so far? Next hook one of the wires that is coming out of the lightbar wiring harness to the switch. I would put a 15 amp. fuse between where you hooked the lightbar wiring to the switch to the lightbar itself. make sence? ALSO DON'T BUY GLASS FUSES THEY SUCK! Before you hook all the wiring up make sure that the lightbar is mounted to the truck itself. My buddy wanted to be smart one day and hook a bar up to his truck without mounting it and then decided he wanted to take a drive. Needless to say the lightbar blew off his truck and was junk. Hope this helps. If you need more help pm me.

Ryan

4. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L Senior Member

sydenstricker, where did you buy your hide a ways from. how were they to install.

shawn

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Havent got em yet, but they are being ordered from lshlights.com.

Thanks guys for the help so far. I went to Whelen's site and downloaded and printed an install manual, so it seems pretty cakewalk for me.

6. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

If you go to www.sirennet.com you can customize your kit. When I bought my last kit i saved almost a 100 bucks by building one. I bought 2 25 ft cables for the rear taillights and I got 2 15 ft cables for the fronts. When I put my fronts in I put them in the headlights where they wrap around to the fender. AWESOME LIGHT OUTPUT! To me those were putting out to much clear light in the front when I was plowing. It would reflect off the snow and flash back at myself.

Ryan

7. Sydenstricker Landscaping

When you say you put the hide aways in the front to where they wrap to the fender, can you give me a lil more detail. I would much rather have them flash the corners than the front of the truck, cause they would be just flashing the plow blade, which would be pointless, lol

8. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L Senior Member

Is the corner/ turnsignal light separate from the headlight? i am getting a set to put on a 2000-2003 ford f 250 and would like to do the same as sydenstricker said because it would just flash back in my eyes. Would it be possible to mount it in the corner light to keep it from flashing as much toward the front?
    thanks
    shawn

9. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

No when I mounted them I put them in the corners of the headlights. I didn't have a problem of them flashing back from the plow it was more or less the amount of snow coming down that made them flash back. The lights were clear and I had the 90 watt system from whelen also. The black dot on the front headlight is where the lights were mounted. Awesome side and front warning power.

strobes 1.JPG

Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
  10. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L Senior Member

thanks for the info. was it hard to put the light so close to the corner in the headlight?
    Nice truck too!
    shawn

11. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

The only hard part was not drilling to far and going thru the outter lens. Other than that it went fine. When I mounted them I did end up taking the adjustment screws off (the screws that let you adjust the headlight up or down) so I could mount them easier. All in all it took me about a good couple of hours to mount them seal them up with a sealent and reinstall the head lights in my truck. Hope that pic helped you out and you can make something work.

Ryan