1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wiring Harness problem?!?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by sbm1132, Jan 26, 2011.

1. sbm1132

sbm1132 Junior Member
    from Maine

Hey guys, hopefully you all can help me out. I have an 02 Chevy 2500 HD with an 8' minute mount 2 on it. Im having trouble with my headlights. When i hook everything up i only have the right side(looking from inside the truck) highbeam. If i get out and wiggle the headlight harness it will turn off the high beams and once i hit the switch inside the truck i will have only left side low beam. There are no visable breaks in any of the wires that i can see. Do i need to replace my headlight harness? its just stressful that if i am driving down the road with my high beam on(right side only) and hit a big enough bump, the lights shut off and i have to switch to low beam and the left side comes on, and vise versa if im on low and it shuts off i have to switch to high.

Thanks for the responses.
  2. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Although my problem is a bit different, I'll tell you anyway...I have a whole new outlook on checking all wiring harnesses after someone else has done service on one of my vehicles. A few weeks ago I had cold starting issues, figuring I'll get around to deal w/ it later. Well later came about a week ago when the truck stalled out for the first time. Long story short, the previous owner had done some injector work and didn't fasten the harnesses where they were meant to go. I had replaced a lot of broken clips from sloppy carelessness, but didn't see where the harness had been rubbing on the frame rail, just inside the shock mount (hard to see). End result was a nuclear holocaust under my hood, melting the entire engine harness and cooking the PCM. The truck has been laid up for almost 2 weeks now, mostly trying to locate parts. Dealer harness is on back order until March, so had to find one out of state, had it FedX'ed...and they sent the wrong one. Needed the wiring done, just to test the system for other damage. The computer alone takes 7-10 days from dealer, where they will have to program, which means towing it there from the specialty shop that it sits. They told me their waiting on a used one from out of state, but it's still a crap shoot.

My point is, take the time to carefully go over all the wiring. Look for chafing, loose connections, etc. Fix anything that looks questionable...it's just not worth it. I don't know yet what this whole mess is going to cost me, but I know it's more than some subs will make in an entire season. The worst part is...it didn't have to happen.