1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wiring harness - headlight question

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by jslash, Jan 6, 2010.

1. jslash

jslash Junior Member

Hi Folks,

I'm still trying to get the used RT-II that I purchased hooked up to my '99 RAM 2500. I have the wiring harness all run and hooked up under the hood. Used the headlight adapters that came with the harness. I don't have actual possession of the plow yet. It's over at a buddy's house. But as I understand, when I flip the switch for the headlights the truck's lights should go out and the plow's should come on. Even without the plow attached shouldn't I see the truck's headlights go out when I flip the switch? They don't. In fact, if I remove the switch completely and leave the wires dangle empty under the dash the headlights still work. I'm worried that there is something wrong with the harness OR that since my truck is a "Sport" with the fog lights that the harness is wrong.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jim

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Have to bet you probably have the incorrect headlight adapters. If the previous truck it was removed from wasn't a Sport then that's very likely your issue.

You need adapter kit p/n MSC04291 for the Sports.

3. jslash

jslash Junior Member

B&B... That's it! Thanks so much for the info.

Jim

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Love those easy fixes Jim. :salute:

5. jslash

jslash Junior Member

Yeah, I ordered the kit from a place online today. One local shop wanted $130 for that wiring kit! Found it online for $75 including shipping. Sure would have like to have it done already. Getting snow today where I could earn a little extra cash and still not done. Oh well, that's what procrastination does for you...

;)

Jim

6. jslash

jslash Junior Member

Okay, well, I received the light adaptor MSC04291 yesterday. Thought I'd go out and hook it up quick and be off to pick up my plow and make sure it's all ready for the next snow fall. It seems nothing goes smoothly on this project. ;) No installation instructions, nothing. Can't find anything specific to this part on Boss' website. There are relays, harnesses and I'm not sure what goes where. Anyone install a light harness on the 4 light sport setup?? I really don't want to start "guessing" where this stuff goes.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Jim

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Haven't done an 11 pin on a Sport in a long time but if I recall you should only have one "extra" wire lead from the relay with a ring terminal on the end and it gets grounded. All the other connectors are plug and play.

8. jslash

jslash Junior Member

True. The "Y"'s are pretty self explanatory. I guess I had never even noticed that there were two bulbs on each side. It's just one housing so it wasn't obvious.
    I tried the regular headlights, high lights and fog lamps and the center two bulbs on the headlights never came on. Of course those are the ones I used when I tried the standard light harnesses ;) So now I see how the "Y" adapters work.
    It's the harness with the two relays that confuses me a little. One harness is actually labeled "High Beam" and one is "Low Beam" and those are "male" connectors. However, there is a female connector that is not labeled. The white wire with the ring terminal is most likely ground as you said. These are very short harness pieces. Each one less than a foot long. Probably about eight inches. So it certainly can't go very far away from whatever it plugs into. Any suggestions on what they plug into??

B&B, you've been very helpful! Thanks so much for the guidance!

Jim

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Should be pretty self explanatory now Jim. The connections you make to the trucks headlamp harness (both inner and outer sockets) will both be done on one side, the driver side most likely, thus leaving the other side unused. Simply tape the unused side up and tuck them out of harms way securely as they won't be used, because the plow harness only connects into one side of the trucks lamp harness. It doesn't use both sides.

As for the white leads with the ring terminals they're to be connected to a good ground source such as a screw on the radiator support. You'll probably have to drill your own and add a self tapping screw for those. Be sure to remove any paint when you do.

Sport.jpg

SportY-2.jpg