1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wiring... got sparks.. I did something wrong...

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Injunfarian, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Injunfarian

Injunfarian Member

So after I just finished wiring up my truck I was testing it without plow on it(both controller and the lights) everything appeared to work right... The lights turned off as I switched the headlights to plow and when I was playing with the controller I got sparks from the positive battery post.
    Now I really need help to figure out what I did wrong.
    The last thing I did with the wiring was wire a direct 1 guage wire from positive to top of solenoid and a direct 1 guage wire from negative to top of solenoid.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You ran a 1 gage ground wire to the underhood solenoid???????????

3. Injunfarian

Injunfarian Member

4. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

holy crap thats huge

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You better look at the manual a little closer before you burn the truck down. ;)

6. NorthernSvc's

usualy it's like 8 gauge.... somethings crossed - thats only reason i can think ud be having sparks...somethings grounded that shouldn't be.. either that or your connections are dirty

7. NorthernSvc's

also usually solenoids 2 big wires are both positive??????

8. NorthernSvc's

solenoids like a big switch.... make sure your reading that manual right!!!!

9. bh115577

bh115577 Senior Member

Stupid question for you. Did you put both cables from the battery on the same post on the of the solenoid?

10. NorthernSvc's

disregard it's not 8 gauge norm.... my bad

11. Injunfarian

Injunfarian Member

yea it is the two big wires on the solenoid...
    I bought the plow used bought a new wiring harness and it stated that i need to run wires from the bat to the solenoid so I looked at the items i had and there was only 2 wires that werent being used and that was a positive and negative and that was a 1 guage so i used that.
    Please let me know what I am doing wrong besides the size of the wires.
    The 2 big bolts on the solenoid is for a negative and positive direct to the battery correct?

12. NorthernSvc's

no... where is the positive for the plow going???? positive should go from battery to solenoid to plow...

13. Injunfarian

Injunfarian Member

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

15. Injunfarian

Injunfarian Member

Yea i see that now at the end of the document, guess I shouldnt have rushed into it :(
    I was referring to the diagrams on page 11 in the installation instructions

Basically ended up having to get a new battery since the current one now has a hole in it due to the heat melting it, also now i need to figure out how I am going to hook the wires back up to the positive terminal since the accessory side of my old terminal got the threaded rod burnt off so now too short to mount wires too :(

Thanks everyone for your help and sorry about the mistake.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Glad you didn't get hurt or burn the truck down.