1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wiring for new plow?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by plow150, Dec 2, 2004.

1. plow150

plow150 Member

New to this plowing game. Recently mounted a Suburbanite on a 2000 F-150. Installation went pretty much per Western's instructions. Haven't found an obvious place to connect the red lead for switched power though. Was hoping I'd find an accessory terminal off the fuse panel but no such luck. Given the amount of computerization on the truck I'm reluctant to start the trial and error method.

Is there an easy place to get switched power under the dash or under the hood somewhere?

2. geereed

geereed Senior Member

Usually you can get switched power from the radio pretty easy.

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Check for a keyed hot wire at the back of the cigarette lighter (not the accesory power point)

4. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I piggybacked the radio fuse in the fuse panel, this way I didnt have to cut into any wires or take anything apart

5. plow150

plow150 Member

Didn't realize you could get away with as little as a radio circuit. I'd been thinking that it needed more power, but I guess that it's just needing enough to get a pulse once the key's turned on and after that the isolation module takes over and gets the real power from the battery.

Thanks all. Now I just need snow...

6. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

your correct, its basically a turn on signal, if it was anything more it would require its own fuse

7. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

The only thing that the red wire that goes to a keyed accesory curcuit does is light up the controller. The amount of draw is extremly low so you can get power from almost anywhere. (stay away from anything having to do with the air bags)

8. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

another reason I did radio- if I blow the fuse for some reason- no harm done