1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wiring fixed.... plow is cutting out

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Dr. Kovac, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Dr. Kovac

Dr. Kovac Junior Member

i have been able to sort out the wiring issues (broken wire at 2 10 amp fuses) and got my fisher mm2 3 plug 3 port working up down left right, i left the plow raised went in and got a drink, came out and the plow was hard to control,,,,stuck i in left, going down was intermittent, i finally got it down and now the plow does nothing...i replaced the solenoid from napa ..i still have power to controller , does this sound like a bad plow motor?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Test light it. Do you hear the solenoid clicking for up, l and r ?

3. Dr. Kovac

Dr. Kovac Junior Member

yes when i hit up the solenoid clicks on the truck but no power is given to the plow and it seem that there is a clicking coming from the plow motor as well

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ok then ck for pwr and gnd at the motor. Can also "tap" the motor whole trying up l and r

5. Dr. Kovac

Dr. Kovac Junior Member

thanks deiselss i will have to wail till my assistant returns..... to "tap" like a starter and test ...and i dont have power at motor .... cause the solenoid wont give power to plow, i have a ground connection at plow and i have fiddled with the plugs while trying the controller eariler

6. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

You're solenoid might be acting up. Do you have a spare?

7. Dr. Kovac

Dr. Kovac Junior Member

i changed out the first solenoid that caused all this to happen,then thinking it was bad cause it needed to be more heavy duty went to parts store and got a heavy duty one with 2 big posts and 1 small post for the coil and the other small post for the switch it looks like by the instructions its for a starter...that didnt work i still had the same issue so i had another one from napa from the company s.a.m. aftermarket snowplow parts. where the first one came from .put that one in and and same thing no power to plow ....i think i should order one from fisher/or some place equal to oem these aftermarket solenoids dont seem to be reliable

8. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Diesel can tell you the part number for the tombertta ones

9. myzx6

myzx6 Member

Well I can safely tell you the solenoid isn't the problem, as long as its wired right. Even a light duty automotive one will run the plow, it would just burn up fast and pro melt stacking snow. Most likely I'd say you have a corroded or broken wire in the harness somewhere. They tend to break on either truck or plow side any where the harness moves alot, either from repeated plugging or just regular movement rubbing. Another possibility, did u do a solid repair on the broken wire, either the proper size butt connector or more preferably solder and heat shrink. Always test for power and grounds before throwing parts at stuff especially the same part 3 times

10. Dr. Kovac

Dr. Kovac Junior Member

myzx6 the repair was red butt connector with ele tape around....it will be another nice day tommorow..i will comb through the harness and plugs again.

11. myzx6

myzx6 Member

Where about in mass are you???? Did you make sure the wire was still firmly in the connector

12. Dr. Kovac

Dr. Kovac Junior Member

myzx6 im on the cape, and with another nice day we sorted out the prob...bad connections between the controller and the plug.....and a few enlarged sockets on the plow plugs....closed them up and gave the ole 1,2,3...wd 40 all moving parts. a good helping of dielectric grease on the connections, and a light grease to the plow pistons...she works awesome....thanks to all u guys for the help...