1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wiring Dual batteries

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ggwash21, Jan 17, 2005.

1. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

Does anyone have a diagram for wiring Dual batteries in??? i';m not sure how to do it but i need it bad.... -45 below this morning and it wouldnt strat and after getting it started it died when i went to lift the plow

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

WOW - 47 only -24 here , (batts) hook them up just like if you were going to jump start it.................- to -.....+ to +... for 12v

3. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

should i run an isolator? they are kinda spendy but might be worth it i have been told to run one and not to run one.. any ideas :gunsfiring:

4. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

If you use an islotor you will have 2 separate 12v batts, if you just hook them together you will have one (big) batt lots of CCA. I have used an isolator on one of my trucks and not on the other two trucks. Don't wast your money on the isolator, it sounds like you would like the strait hook up better, this way your truck will have moor cca to get you started on those cold morrings. if you ran a isolator you would have to jump your self and thats just wrong :eek:

5. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

Ya i'm not even gonna mess with a isolator.. by the way where are you from?? i'm in virginia on DA RANGE... My father works at napa in virginia here so i can get what i need for the job

6. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

the only time I would use an isolator is with different size batteries, If using two batteries of same size, (cca & physical dimension), connect them positive to positive and negative to negative in a parallel setup. On all twin battery setups I always use two new matched batteries. If you use your existing old batt and a new one you will end up degrading the new one to the used one's condition, because the old will discharge quicker under load and all the charging current will go to it.

7. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

hell run 3 batts, the firs two wired together, then the third in an iso setup in case of emergencies.

You really have no need for an isol unless you have a killer stereo, off road lights or jus tplain use your truck batt when it isn't running. You want voltge so definatlly wire them up in parallel

8. amcolandscaping

amcolandscaping Member

what does the isolator do? see my earlier post below. I have 2 batteries but not sure how the second smaller battery works?

I just got a 1985 f350 4x4 with a western cable plow I am having a charging problem it seems. when i hit the controller my light would almost go out(not dim they would almost go out) so i went out and got a new battery and after plowing the 3rd driveway the same problem lights almost went out and i couldnt get the plow up, so i went out and bought a new alternator and external regulator and still having the same problem? any clues?

9. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

Isolater is if your runnign2 different size battery's and so on
    i'm gonna go with 2 orbital batteries.. :drinkup:

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I'm located in Duluth Mn.
    the truck that has the isolator is also the one that carries my camper thus the need for an iso..
    the iso isolates one or Moore batt (s) from the the primary batt.
    So you can run them down and it will not drain down the primary batt and the primary batt gets charged first then the secondary.
    if that helps, there are a lot of posts on this subject maybe some of them can explain it better...

11. amcolandscaping

amcolandscaping Member

anybody have a picture of an isolator? so i know what i am looking for

12. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

13. ta3834bbl

ta3834bbl Senior Member

Dodge runs dual batts in the diesel and are in parallel, meaning pos to pos , but the neg on each batt goes to engine block ground. I am not sure why this is, but it works out to be identical electrically. It might have something to do with cost of cables, or possibly safety when hooking them up. Not sure.

14. caz41

caz41 Member

So who is going to post a picture of their setup???

15. caz41

caz41 Member

Here's another twist to the dual battery saga. I spoke with a guy at Napa today who told me that the setup that he was running along with several other people that he knew, was running an isolator, and hooking the plow and plow only to the aux. battery. He stated that this way you have a battery that is dedicated to the plow and lights and stuff will not be drawing from it. Anyone ever heard of this before???

16. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

there are two different types of isolators....you can run one that looks exctly like a starter relay, which it really is or another one that looks kinda like a small amplifier for a radio.....they usually are about 4x6" at the most and have heat sink fins.....that style uses diodes unlike the relay style...both have drawbacks....

only prob with that setup is it is same as running a sngle battery setup....your alt still has to contend with the other items and you re doubling the amperage like you would with no iso.....so unless you run a higher amp alt it really is useless.

[​IMG]

that is th eone i am getting as soon as funds allow.....up to 300 amps (i run 200amp alt) uses relay AND diodes....first i have seen that uses both.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2005