1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wiring Diagram Western Ultramount?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jaded13640, Feb 3, 2015.

1. jaded13640

jaded13640 Junior Member

Hi, I've been on this forum before when my plow wouldn't lower. I fixed it by heating the system up and changing the fluid. All it was was a little moisture in the solenoid and the solenoid is a little sticky sometimes. Occasionally it still sticks but all I have to do is rock it back and forth and worse case aim the salamander at it till it warms up but it's only happend once or twice since I changed the fluid.

Anyway, new issue.

This year I put the plow on and the headlights don't work. The plow functions work, the blinker lights work but the head lights and running lights do not.

I'm obviously not getting power to that circuit. Typically in automotive systems there's no fuse for the headlights and I don't think there is one for the headlights on the plow rack. But I could be wrong. I don't see one anywhere but it may be hidden.

What I need is a wiring diagram for that rectangular plug so I can probe the wires that are supposed to power the headlights and running lights.

At this point I've probed the connector at the headlights and I'm not getting any juice there.

If anyone has a diagram or can link me to one I need it asap. The truck with plow is in the shop right now and my shop is my auto repair business. In other words, I can't tie up the shop and need the diagram ASAP.

I've got a gob of work lined up and I'm already getting backed up. We're supposed to get more snow tonight and I'm hearing 10 to 12 inches this coming weekend. So I've GOT to get this thing squared away and out of the shop fast.

So please, if you've got anything post it right away.

If you have it on file and need to email it, my email address is,

jaded13640@aol.com

You can also reach me by phone at 810-962-5039

Thanks how urgent this is! LOL

Thanks in advance,

Wayne

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

3. jaded13640

jaded13640 Junior Member

dieselss...DUDE!, you are a life saver!

Thank you so much for posting that so quickly!

I was just getting ready to head out there and tackle it myself blind. Probably wouldn't have ended well! LOL

Thanks again!

I definitely owe you one.

Like I said my field is auto repair but I'm also a fabricator, machinist etc.

If there's anything I can help you out with in the future, PLEASE, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks again,

Wayne

4. dieselss

No bother.....

5. jaded13640

jaded13640 Junior Member

Alright, this is kinda weird.

This thing gives all the appearances of being professionally installed. However, there appears to be no relay running the healightlys. It appears, no drirect line of sight without disassembly, that the plow harness is hard wired into the truck's harness.

It's been seriously cold here and I really wasn't in the mood to take the fuse block out to see the connections.

I'd be kind of surprised if it was hard wired. It seems to me it would have caused some major issues long before now. The plow has been on the truck since just after my buddy bought it new in 04.

Is it even possble that it could be hard wired direct?

Thanks,

Wayne

6. jaded13640

jaded13640 Junior Member

Update...

I just talked to my buddy that owns the truck. It turns out he bought that new from the dealer with the plow on it. Of course that doesn't mean Chrysler installed the plow but it may shed light on the manor in which it was wired. There may actually be a fuse or relay in the trucks fuse block for the plow lights.

I had been going under the assumption that he bought the truck, took it to a Western plow dealer and had the plow installed. Not the case.

I have a doc appointment in the morning and bowling tomorrow evening but if I have a little time between I'll see if I can figure anything out in the fuse block.

I'll let you know if I figure anything out.

Are you familliar with that process? I'm assuming they send the trucks out for plow instaling but that's just an assumption. That may actually be a package from chrysler where they have a harness wired and in place for the plow hardware to be installed. I suppose it's not totally impossible for the factory or even the dealership to instal the hardware. But again, I'm not familliar with that process.

Thanks for all your help so far.

Wayne

7. dieselss

What's you issue? And fyi the plow has 4 fuses, have you cked them yet?

8. jaded13640

jaded13640 Junior Member

If it's got 4 I'd like to know where two of them are. I've seen two, one on the power wire to the hand held controller and one just off the pump solenoid.

I'm wondering if it doens't have a fuse or two within the fuse box itself.

The issue is that the headlights on the plow will not work. They worked last year when I took the plow off and this year they simply don't.

9. dieselss

Here you go, it's also in the manual I have you the link to

Screenshot_2014-12-16-03-44-50.jpg

Screenshot_2014-12-16-03-23-44.jpg

10. jaded13640

jaded13640 Junior Member

Yea, I saw that on the diagram you linked to me but I'm not seeing where the fuses are.

They've got em stashed away somewhere.

I'll just have to start tearing stuff apart till I find them I guess.

Thanks for all your help,

Wayne

11. jaded13640

jaded13640 Junior Member

Strange, there are only two fuses on this system. Two fuses, four relays and one little box the size of two relays. Power goes in from the fused line from the solenoid, it has good ground but the four other wires never have power, even when the lights are turned on. It appears that the relays get power from this mysterious little black box.

I've been through about 55 pages of that manual you linked me. I'm going to continue on but I've not seen anything yet about that little box.

If you know what it is let me know.

Wayne

12. jaded13640

jaded13640 Junior Member

I'm seeing something that might be that box but the diagrams don't say what it is. I start seeing it around page 65 or so. It just says, "located under dash but it's most certainly NOT located under the dash. There's nothing under the dash related to the plow other than the handheld controler harness coming through the firewal.

What is this thing?

Thanks,

Wayne

13. dieselss

You talking about this

Screenshot_2015-02-09-03-27-57.jpg

14. jaded13640

jaded13640 Junior Member

That's my best guess, yes. I don't recall all the wires coming out of it and the trucks no longer apart and up in the air. For sure it has a red wire coming from the power side of the pump solenoid with an inline fuse and the black goes go ground. I remember a light blue wire but I can't recall exaclty what the color was of the few other wires. I don't know why they did it this way but they had that thing taped to the four relays. It looks to have one of those adapters that plug into the trucks headlight connectors and it all comes together in this gaggle of wires with relays and that thing. My guess is that the relays and then the lights get their power from that "thing" and it's fried. Everything worked fine last year when we put it up. This year, out of the blue we had no headlights. Everything else works fine.

Thanks,

Wayne

15. dieselss

Might need to snap a picture of it

16. jaded13640

jaded13640 Junior Member

Yea, that probably would have helped. Now the wheel and fender well are back on, everything's all taped back up and the truck's off the hoist and out in the yard.

17. jaded13640

jaded13640 Junior Member

Ok, since a picture isn't possible at the moment, what is that part called that you showed me? At least then if I call a plow shop they'll know what I'm talking about.

Thanks,

Wayne

18. dieselss

What?......
    You have the diagrams, post up a pic of what your thinking it is.

19. jaded13640

jaded13640 Junior Member

I'm not sure why but when I hit quote it didn't copy your picture. It's the picture you posted just above where you said, "you talking about this?". The diagram says "located under dash". Maybe it's supposed to be but it's not. The thing I'm talking about it taped to the four relays with the harness that is hanging down in front of the left front tire. There's an adapter on each of the truck's healight harnesses and the wires run over in front of the left front wheel where they connect to four relays and that little box thing that is exactly the size of two relays side by side. At first when it was all taped together I though it was six relays until I got it untaped. Again, it appears that this little box thing is what triggers the four relays.

The schematic doesn't seem to label it anwhere unless I'm missing a legend page or something.

I'm not sure I understand why it needs the relays when it's using an adapter plug connected to the trucks headlight harness. That harness is already run through a relay. But I'm not a plow guy and don't claim to know the best way of doing it. I'm just a guy that's gotta fix it so that the headlights work. Everything else, including the flashers, works. Just no plow headlights.

Thanks,

Wayne

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  20. dieselss

Your gunna have to get a picture. That makes no sense.
    And the picture I posted is the controller connector inside the cab