1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wiring diagram for old western

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 09dieselguy, Dec 20, 2009.

1. 09dieselguy

09dieselguy Senior Member

i got 95 chevy the other day in part of a deal. its got a western cable operated plow on it. im not to fimilar on these plows. the plow is wired like a nightmare.

for some reason the pump runs only when a switch is on. so everytime you want to either angle the plow or raise it you must flip the switch. the motor is extremely loud out side of the truck as well. like you can hear it in the truck over the radio loud.

does the plow need any relays to run it correctly? id assume so?

also the plows lift cylinder leaks to. is imagine that someone here has replaced the gaskets in the pump. how bad of job is it to replace that? how do i do it?

do i just take the huge nut off and pull the cylinder up?

the plow lifts pretty slow and side to side untill i work it for a minute. i added more fluid but it still lifts rather slow.

someone please help me id like to fix this in the next day or 2

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

First I would like to ask a question.

How do you turn on the "plow lights??

You have the "long stick handle controller with a wire coming out through the bottom of the controller??

U should have a relay in the engine compartment on the driver side

Here a picture

cabrelay.jpg

This relay control the pump motor

cabrelay.jpg

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  3. twinman326

If the packing nut is leaking, turn it 1/4 of a turn.

As for you filling here is a picture

oilcab.jpg

here is a pdf for cable plows. Just click on the link.
    http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/62880.pdf

here is the "owner manual" pdf link. I would download all these links and keep them for future reference
    http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/13280_080193.pdf

If you need the "packing set" here is the part number 25205. If you have a western dealer just give him that number or here a link to where you can buy it
    http://www.angelos-supplies.com/sno...roductID/57072/Default.aspx?SortField=EAN,EAN

Solenoid number 56131K link. Or give it to you western dealer
    http://www.angelos-supplies.com/sno...roductID/58327/Default.aspx?SortField=EAN,EAN

oilcab.jpg

4. twinman326

5. 09dieselguy

the lights turn on when i turn the regular truck lights on. the guy didnt even have regular lights on the plow. im trying to find a set of them to re wire the complete plow.

is there no gasket in the pump for the plunger?

does this plow need relays to control any part of it?

i dont have the truck in front of me to mess with it right now. i will check it out in the morning but im trying to get as much info as needed for it before i go to it first.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP TWINMAN

6. twinman326

look at post #2, and number #3. Also look at the pdf links..

Here is the diagram of the light hook up

cablelig.jpg

This is from the pdf in #4 post above (number are on the right hand side of each post)

Just the motor relay (post #2)

cablelig.jpg

7. 09dieselguy

thanks again twin man. i must of missed that one of the lights. i will have to stop at the dealer tommarow to see what the price of the wirng harness would run or i will just make my own. wiring is part of my job and im sure i could make one rather easly.

any idea on why the pump would be so unbearablly loud?

8. twinman326

Honestly, I don't even think your going to find the wiring harness. The part #'s 60584 or 49057. U might have to make a harness using the wire diagram..

As for the motor noise. It is probably going bad, or the pump is going bad..
    Motor # 56133

As for the pump part number, can not tell you..It is probably the old style. It might be #49211
    Gasket for the motor to the housing #2586

9. 09dieselguy

wow you are spot on with this stuff huh. i will check tommarow to check prices. i will grab a filter and change that. god knows the last time it was replaced.

thanks alot twinman

10. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

......oh boy, I think I have created a monster. TwinMan is like a cat, high on cat nip and playing with a new toy....:laughing:

Go get um tiger.

11. twinman326

Easy Repo...LOL.......My cat like to scratch.. Happy holidays..........

12. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

LOL :laughing:

:drinkup: :waving: Merry Christmas bud.

13. twinman326

Merry Xmas to you also Repo

14. 09dieselguy

ok i still cannt get this thing to work right. i have done everything that i could think of. i had rewired this plow. i talked with my western dealer and they are lost as well. we put a new solnoid on it thinking we had the wrong one. i understand that when the control is moved the box prong ground out making this a ground controlled switch. from the wiring diagram i see that the llla box has a ground wire coming out of the bottom of the box. from what ive read and everyone i talk to i am suppose to run that wire to a ground which is the little post on the soloniod.

i tested the that i had a good ground on the controlled with a postive lead of my dmm to the postive terminal on the battery. i put the negative lead on the ground of the controller and i had 12.6 which is perfect for the truck not running.

when i checked power going to the solinoid i have 12.4 coming out of the solnoid and .1 going into it which doesnt make any since to me. how can you have nothing going in but full charge at the other side. (the 12.4 is a good number cause your aloud to have .1 drop in voltage for every foot of wire and .1 drop per connector)

im not sure what is wrong with this. any info would be awesome. i will be tearing it apart tommarow again as im about lost on what needs to happen.

[​IMG]

15. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

Shoot me an e-mail or give me a call , 1-570-656-9506 , or tomsnastyz@yahoo.com , easier to explain over the phone rather than typing.

TOM

16. twinman326

Go back to post #2..That is the correct way. The motor relay should have two BIG terminal for the battery and pump cable, to small terminals, one for the black wire from the controller, and one "loop" wire from the battery cable that is attach to the "big terminal" to the small terminal.

battj.jpg

Missing the "JUMPER" wire

better

mrrrrrrr.jpg

battj.jpg

mrrrrrrr.jpg

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  17. 09dieselguy

the thing is i called my western dealer and they said that i dont need the jumper wire. im running a different solnoid with only one post coming off on the side that goes to the controller.

i will call you today tom

18. vader43

vader43 Junior Member

did you ground the solnoid.. my cable operated plow wouldn't work right if the solnoid was grounded...

also i got a new solnoid from my local dealer and it was garbage right out of the bag. it had constant power on negative side of the solnoid i ended up useing a solnoid from a dual battery kit i got from painless performance and it worked fine..

19. twinman326

Ok..Let try this one.. Page #6 in the PDF

cabwir.jpg

Here one with out the jumper wire.....Make sure your solenoid is grounded..Or you can check with western dealer and see if the say "don't ground it"!! Also you might want to check with your dealer to see if it is possible that you might of got a "defected" solenoid!!

It should be a heavy duty solenoid # 56131

here if the mechanics cable PDF
    http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/13497_020088.pdf

cabwir.jpg

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  20. 09dieselguy

i think i tried it with it grounded to the negative post on the battery after coming off the ground on the pump. didnt work any different. i plan to drive the truck over to the dealer tommarow to see whats going on with it. thanks for all the help guys. im running clueless on this. i will try to get a different solnoid tommarow as well. i thought the one on the truck may have been bad but it seems to work better then the one i got from them. i was thinking the new one was shot as well.