1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wiring Backup Lights

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jclodfe2, Dec 18, 2004.

1. jclodfe2

jclodfe2 Junior Member

I have installed some 55watt halogen backup lights under my bumper on my 2005 2500HD, but was wondering what color wire I need to be tapping into for the reverse lights. Don't want to tap into something I shouldn't. Thought someone on here might be able to help me out. Thanks

2. NEXTDAYSIGNS

NEXTDAYSIGNS Member

Lots Of Posts On This Subject. I Think It Isthe Light Green Wire On The Trailer Harness.

3. PackRat

PackRat Member
    from Kansas

I'd put it on a relay, if it was mine. That reverse lamp circuit isn't designed to hold that much current.

Besides, then you can switch the ground side of the relay, so they are only on, when you need them. Imagine, trying to back a trailer, with the front, lit up like downtown.

4. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

I Agree.... Do not run aux lights off the factory wires. Use a relay.

5. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Or even just a rocker switch and use them as needed.

6. PackRat

PackRat Member
    from Kansas

I'd even run a relay then, so you aren't pulling all the load through a switch.

Even better. Run a double throw switch, so you can have them ON, OFF, or ON with the backup lights. Might be kind of handy to have a lil light on the subject, when hooking up a trailer, or loading something.

7. raptorman03

raptorman03 Senior Member

Its the green wire :)

8. LABPLOWING

LABPLOWING Junior Member

What Type Of Lights Are They?

9. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

If your truck has the HD trailer setup the Revers on the 7-way harness in the back has reverse on pin 7 (The center pin). It runs off its own relay I believe.

10. jclodfe2

jclodfe2 Junior Member

Yes it is an HD. The backup lights were bought at my local Auto Zone. I believe they are 55 watt halogen. I was hoping to be able to just splice into the reverse wire on the trailer wiring without having to run wires clear to the front of the truck. Not really important to have them switched unless I am thinking wrong. I just want to make sure I am going to do this right the first time. Thanks for all of the replies

11. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

I did the same, no relay. If you look under your bumper, follow the trailer connection wires, these will be a sticker wrapped around the wire loom that tells you which color wire is for the reverse lights. I think it was green or blue, I wired mine through the factory wiring. No issues, yet.

12. jclodfe2

jclodfe2 Junior Member

Thanks Bad Luck, I will probably end up doing it without putting in the relay. That sounds much easier. Thanks

13. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Sorry I misunderstood. Just to clarify... If you are going to run them off the 7pin trailer harness wires you should be fine (no relay required).

If you are going to wire them up to the wire that sends power to the existing lights then you need the relay.

14. PackRat

PackRat Member
    from Kansas

If your going to do it that way, put your lights on a receiver tube, with a crossbar, and wire them into a trailer connector. Then you can put them on, or take them off at your convenience.

Just a suggestion.