1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wiring back up lights

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ajordan193, Dec 7, 2007.

1. ajordan193

ajordan193 Senior Member
    from WNY

I'm in the process of installing 2 back up lights each 55 watts. Can someone explain to me how to use a relay and a switch and what materials i will need to accomplish this? I want to be able to run there with the reverse lights and also use them as aux lights when i need them. Thanks guys

2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

3. mgf250

mgf250 Member

Hook up

If you want to use them as Auxillary lights, do not splice them into the reverse light circuit otherwise you will have to be in reverse each time you want to use the lights. Depending on the year of your vehicle, most new models have auxillary circuit center under the steering wheel or somewhere under the dash. Hook into one that only works with the ignition switch. Two 55 watt bulbs pull about 9 amps. You will need 14 gauge wire and an appropriate rated switch. If you can find a rated switch then you do not need a relay and will make wiring easier! If not then you will need a relay and more wire.

4. dzrick

dzrick Senior Member

5. pwrstroke6john

pwrstroke6john Senior Member

on my truck, I spliced into the trailer wireing backup light wire, so that it would light up when placed in reverse. Then under the dash I found the reverse light wire and spliced a power on to it with a switch, this way when i flip the switch both the stock and auxilary backup lights come on.

6. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

backup lighting

FYI

I ask my bud that has a local custom van shop about brighter backup lighting and he has a 55W complete kit that plugs right in to the 7 pin for around 40 bucks.
    I'm going to go look at it tomorrow.
    If I get it I'll post some pics

7. ADK

ADK Member

Use a relay and a SPDT (single pole, double throw) switch. That way the lights can be run alone, off, or with the reverse lights.

Here's a good link with pic. It's for a motorcycle, but the principals are the same.

http://www.r1200gs.info/howto/relay.html

8. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

What ADK said about double throw switch (3 position switch). One pole turn on lights all the time the truck is running, center off and the other pole turn on aux. lights w/ rev. lights. The only clarification I would make is to run a relay to power the 55 watt lights, that way the b/u light circut as well as the switch circut are isolated and running less juice through them. You can use lighter guage wire for everything except from batt. to relay & lights.

9. yancy

yancy Senior Member

what kind of truck are you trying to install the lights on?

I personally would not run aux lights through your reverse lights unless you had a way to turn them off when you are not plowing. it is a fast way to make someone mad when just doing daily or nightly events in your truck.

I have two lights off of a combine under my rear bumper. I ran a 1in wire harness with 3-12ga, 3-10ga, 1-6ga for spreader, and 1-1ga for rear jump pack/ winch. the lights are wired in to a 12 ga wire that goes to the eng compartment and in to the cab up to my switch panel with a 20amp fuse paired with a 30 amp switch. The amprage is a little over kill but it saved me from having to wire relays. I will try to get a picture of the inside of my panel.