1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wiring aux cargo lights to factory cab switch

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Woodland, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

I'm going to mount two 55w work lights to the back of my truck rack. I plan to run power from the battery through a relay to lights. Is it possible/wise to wire the relay (85 terminal) to the factory cargo light switch so both come on with the one switch, or would I be better off to install a second switch somewhere else for the aux lights?

2. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Just my .02 but I think the extra light in the bed, especially with snow in it or while it is snowing is hard to see past.

I would opt for lights further back and lower if you can, @ bumper height seems good.

Good luck

Mike c

3. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

I have a set of auxiliary backup lights mounted underneath the rear bumper that turn on when the truck is in reverse. The lights I am mounting on the truck rack are to illuminate the cargo are when I'm working in their after dark. The stock cargo lights just arn't bright enough.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No reason you can't tie the 85 terminal into the cargo light wire to trip the relay. Makes for a rather nice setup that way, no separate switch needed.