1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wiring an whelen edge 9004ak?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bgingras, Jul 23, 2005.

1. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

Hello, I just installed a used 49" edge 9004ak that is a former state police cruiser bar. All the lights work great, but the front takedowns will only wig wag, no other wires will activate them. Does anyone know if there is something that has to be changed inside the bar itself to make them burn steady? The bar is an older style and does not have the one large relay board common on the new edge bars, instead there are 2 seperate boards plus the main power supply. The wire that I've connected to is the red/black 12 gauge wire. Whelen's website only has the new stuff on it and not the older bars, so it's no help.

2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Behind the left front corner strobe there is a sub board which controls the takedowns. Their should be a 3 terminal plug near the top. One wire is ground and the other two need power to be steady takedown. Then follow these out and make sure they go into the main harness. If not run a new wire or jump the wire (for steady burn only).

I forget the colors. If I get a chance tomorrow I will swing by my shop and look at my book or pull and bar apart.

3. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

what I found was a three wire plug that runs to this board, red/orange/black...the 3 wires plugs into the main whelen power control module. Should I just jump the red and orange wires together to get steady burn?

4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Yup. I took a look today. I could not remember the third wire. The orange and red should give you steady burn.

There is probably a unplugged, broken or misconnected wire in the harness if you cannot find a lead to make it steady burn. Keep in mind the wire coming out of the main harness may not be orange.

5. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

I connect the orange and red together and low and behold, we have steady burn. Can't wait until winter to try out this truck, and lighting setup.

Does anyone use their takedown lights while plowing? Do they help? I got this bar because of the alley and takedowns but have no idea how affective they will be.

6. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

I use my take down lights while plowing as long as its not snowing. if its snowing moderately or heavily it just makes it harder to see from the light reflecting off the snow. ally lights are good for finding addresses and pissing off your plowing buddies when there next to you..ha ha......Bryan

7. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

I am still seeing spots :dizzy: