1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wiring a Star 9200-S, why 2 ground wires?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by econolinerick, Jan 5, 2009.

1. econolinerick

econolinerick Junior Member

Can anyone tell me why I seem to have 2 ground wires coming from my 9200-S mini strobe bar?

Nothing mentioned in the original documentation about the 'extra' white wire, just 'black to ground and red to switched positive'. This is brand new in the box I picked up at auction.

Coming from the grommet on the bottom I have:
    Red wire with a tag reading "12-24V+"
    Black AND white wires with a common tag around both of them reading "12V-"

I tried to follow the wires but they go into the epoxied up box inside. Bench tested it and it seems to work the same whether I hook up the white to ground, the black to ground, or both together.

So what the heck is the purpose of the white wire??? Is not advertised to have different flash patterns, and does not appear to either when trying the white/black/both wires.

One other odd thing, the spec. sheet that came with this thing says there's a photocell that will decrease the brightness in low light conditions but I don't see one. Took off all the lenses & nothing. Hmmm...

Thanks in advance,
    Rick

2. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

just ground them both or find the one that works and just cap the other one and the photo cells cost some $$$$ but idk whats up with them i only deal there mini phantoms