1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wiring a new boss, where to drill firewall?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Onebadbowtie86, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Onebadbowtie86

Onebadbowtie86 Senior Member

hey guys, i spent the day wiring my new boss plow, and it went together pretty simple, easier then i thought, but i need to know where abouts you are supposed to drill the hole in the firewall? if any of you could explain where yours is on a 99+ bodys style chevy/gmc it would help me out alot, pictures would be even better!!! thanks in advance!

2. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

You may have a hole pre-drilled. It will have a grommet installed that you need to cut and send your wires through. What make and model do you have?
  3. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

i actually ran mine through the large grommeted hole that one of the main harnesses already runs through. its sort of near the steering colum. just ran a snake from inside the cab, through the grommet into the engine bay, and pulled the wires through that grommet.
  4. Onebadbowtie86

Onebadbowtie86 Senior Member

i seen that grommet that the factory harness goes through by the firewall, but didnt know if i could get the boss harness through it, heres a picture of my truck im putting the plow on

5. flanny0104

flanny0104 Junior Member
    from indiana

driver side factory wiring hole is what i used for mine, cut back the rubber grommet and slide it through! good luck.
  6. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

nice truck, thats gonna be very handy in tight driveways. my girlfriends father has the same style in a chevy with a step-side bed
  7. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

don't know what year yours is ,this is for a 2001 2500hd .there was a flat spot with a dimple ,had to use a hole saw pull the insulation aside ,make sure nothing on the back side and go for it .some pic's.

8. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Here is my 05, had to drill my own hole. You will need to drill it from inside the cab. Send me your email address and I will email you some pictures. flykelley930@mac.com Put firewall hole in the subject line.

Good Luck Mike
  9. Snowchief

Snowchief Member

If you choose to run it through an existing grommet that's already full of wiring, then pour isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol on everything and it'll slide right through. It's a terrific lubricant for pulling wires. And it dries up quickly.

And get your minds out of the gutter... (my preemptive strike)