1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wiring a minipro575

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Scenic Lawnscape, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

i have a mini pro 575 and i have the variable speed controler. Is there a way i can wire this my self with out having to buy the harness. I have the part of the harness that you plug in the back of the controler and i have the plug that goues to the motor, is required that i use there harness??? I will buy if i have to but if i dont there are others things i can buy with that money.. thanks for all the inbut

2. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Yes, you can build your own wiring harness. All they have on those units is the +(pos) -(neg) going to the motor. 12vdc is easy to figure out. Make sure to use the correct wire gauge and put in an inline fuse.

3. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

what about the control box, do u guys have any ideas on how i can build one of those??

4. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

If all you want is ON-OFF use a 30amp SPST toggle switch.

5. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Bringing this thread back to life because I am buying the same unit with no control box.

Does anyone know if you can use either a variable speed control from something else (ie. buyers or other), or just some random potentiometer or dimmer/ fan control or something to accomplish the same thing? My assumption would be that if this motor is just a straight, positive and ground, than anything that could handle the load (30 amps?) would work.

Any ideas or experiences??

Thanks, Jer

6. Big John

Big John Junior Member

I'm in the middle of experimenting with this myself. What I can tell you so far is 1) Radio Shack has nice aluminum project boxes for the control box. 2) Anything for AC won't work i.e. dimmer switch, motor control. 3) The potentiometers I've used so far have gone up in smoke!

So far I haven't been able to get it to work, but I'll keep working on it.

7. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I was also thinking of using heater fan resistors (those little coily things on a cardboard plate in the heater box).
    This would not give you continuously variable control, but a stepped voltage decrease, probably low, med, full, depending on what you get it from.
    I am not sure how much a heater fan motor draws, but it is probably a good amount, and i don't think the resistors have the power flowing through them anyway, so the amperage might not be an issue. I am going to look into this today.

-Jer

8. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Grip Truk, On my ATV spreader I used one of those heater fan resistors. It worked well for me, I'm not shure about the amps that the truck spreader motor pulls, it could be a lot more. I don't want to sound stupid but I think it was hooked up on the ground side as well as the on/off switch. This setup has worked good for years for me, hope it will work for you.:waving:

9. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Thanks
    I actually wound up not getting it because my main client wants sand/salt, so it doesn't make sense to have a spreader that can't do it.

-Jer

10. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

You can use just about anybody's variable speed controller. They are all made by the same mfr. They all run 12v. If you build your own, you should be able to get all the parts you need from Radio Shack. Just watch your amperage. If you plan on using a simple on-off switch, I would recommens using a relay in line.

11. drafto

drafto Member

Quick dumb question while we are here, why can't you use sand in that spreader? I have that spreader and was wondering what is the difference between spreaders that use sand and ones that don't? That spreaeder shakes back and forth enough to keep it loose, am I missing something?

12. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I tried it. A single stage spreader just wont spread sand, it doesn't fall down, or flow. Most sand is pretty wet, so when you put it in the spreader, just as you can build wet sand up into sandcastles, it "sticks" to itself, and it will just sit there. The minipro has that little auger, all that did was dig a little hole in the middle, so it spread for about 2 seconds and was done.
    Spreaders that can handle sand are two stage spreaders, and have a seperate mechanism for drawing the sand into the spinner, this usually consists of some kind of conveyor belt or auger that operates independently of the spinner.
    Believe me, I would love to have gotten that spreader for $450 and saved my back... but for now... I'm shoveling :(

-Jer