1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wires in dash harness melt down

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Carl, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Carl

Carl Junior Member

Can anyone lend some insight?
    Wires in dash harness melted together. Occured in fall, plow was not even in use, yet dealer would not warranty. Explanation was that adding the plow wiring to truck voided the warranty. Another side note. Mechanic mentioned that plow wiring should have had there own fuse. Should not have been tied into truck lights. Stated that tying into running lights overloaded circuit. Took my complaint to GM rep and they are standing behind dealer. Since Lesco installed the plow I had asked them if they were going to except responsibility. No Luck. Difficult situation. Have a friendly relationship with the guys there and didn't push the matter to hard. Anyone know if I have any other options. Ever dealt with something like this.

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

What type of plow, what year of truck. Tell us that and we might be able to help ya out.

From what you have told us so far, I would say your Lesco dealer is at fault. Get a lawyer and go after your lesco dealer.

Geoff

3. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

It should be the Lesco's responsibility for the damage. They installed the plow and did the wiring and they should know better than tapping the wire to vehicle lights. When you leave the truck to the plow dealer, it is their responsibility to properly install the plow and the wiring. They failed to do that and it is their fault, not your. It does not make sense why they won't accept their responsibility for their mistake that they made. It sounds like they are a bad dealer and you should avoid them the next time because they don't sound dependable. What's next? It could have caused a fire and burn up your truck! :eek: Fortunately it did not and the wires just melted. Go and talk to Lesco dealer again and tell them that since they did the installation, it is their responsibility to properly install the plow and wiring. Like residential and commercial electricians, it is their responsibility to properly wire the system.

4. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

That's exactly right.

When you install aftermarket equipment onto a vehicle, you need to be responsible about it. Not putting a fuse on a wire that will draw from the vehicle is VERY irresponsible. This is Lesco's deal. They installed the plow (improperly) and cause damage to your vehicle. If they don't step up to the plate... get yourself a lawyer.

5. Carl

Carl Junior Member

2000 Chevy 2500, Curtis Snow Plow
    I appreciate the help. I will bring the issue up with Lesco again. I would have hoped they would have stepped up to the plate without having to get a lawyer, but ....
    The most unfortunate thing is they have been very dependable in the past.
    Thanks

6. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Well, I don't know much about curtis plows. However I am sure they don't recomend connecting into the factory wiring.

I know all truck makers say that extra wiring must be isolated from the truck wiring. This is why Fisher has it's Isolation system, and Meyer/Diamond has the Saber light system.

Geoff

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Id be fuming,this is why i install all my own accessorys,most "installers" dont have a clue as to what they are actually doing,or the implications to what they are modfying when they do these jobs.If they did a professional job this wouldnt be an issue,Gm wouldnt have refused the repair,since Lesco would have done the job right.Try calling Curtis,they should be aware that one of their dealers is failing to accept responsibility for an obvious workmanship error on their part,They may even offer to pay for the repairs.I work on a lot of GM's 99% of the time,a wiring problem can be traced to an accesorry that was improperly installed or routed that damaged,or overloaded a factory circiut.Good luck getting Lesco to pay,what ticks me off,is if you have good relationship with lesco,they should be even more willing to just pay for it,apologize for your inconvienence,and not jeapodize your future business.

8. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

Carl, just my 2cents worth, but you need a little more backup before going to lesco to plead your case. I would personally call Curtis and tell them your problem. I would ask Curtis if it is customary to wire their plows in this manner. (I can tell you it is not) At the very least the wire should have had an inline fuse and hooked into an aux. fuse. Once you have the backing from Curtis, go after Lesco, I understand that you have a good working relationship, but as others on this board have said, it is obvious that the installation was not proper and the the installer is at fault. The same applies if you were to install it yourself and hook something up wrong and burnt it up.

9. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

Carl, I'll put my two cents in too and if you get enough guys to comment on this, you'll have this paid for in no time at all. Get the GM dealer to put in writing what went wrong and why. Then take it to your Lesco dealer. Request from the local Lesco dealer a formal customer complaint form. It is a three part form. If they refuse to do it, then call Lesco corporate headquarters, talk to customer service, ask for Kay Licht and she'll fill out the form. Lesco has to consider the complaint due to SEC regulations but they don't have to find in your favor either. Remember their corporate promise is "We want you to be a customer for life". Call their CEO Bill Foley on the phone(he will talk to you)and tell him that all us people on plowsite are paying particular attention to the way they treat you.

10. Carl

Carl Junior Member

Again thanks for help. I emailed Curtis this morning and will contact Lesco today. I will let you guys know how this turns out.

11. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

There is a lot to be said of the clout the opinions have on a site that is read literally around the world.
    Not to mention the impact this site has on consumer's attitudes as to the quality of both products and service from different manufacutrers and upfitters.

Bruce

12. Moony

Moony Banned

Court is now in session: Carl vs. Lesco

13. Carl

Carl Junior Member

Let's hope it does not come to that. :eek:
    Makes the situation more difficult is that the staff at this location have been very helpful in the past.

14. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

Judge Judy