1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wires cut next to plug how to fix?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by critter, Dec 11, 2013.

1. critter

critter Junior Member
    from 01757

my pass light does not work and my drivers side flickers i found that the black/white wire is cut right at the the base of the plug. should i try solder ? i would like to be able to strip a little off but there is no way. what to do ?!?!?

crappy pic but[​IMG]

2. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Can you try to get a closeup of the damaged area? I have some ideas, but need to see it a little better. Is the wire clean-or is it corroded black?

3. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

go to a dealer and buy fisher plow 26357 wire, any repair will not last

4. critter

critter Junior Member
    from 01757

it looks like its pulled in

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  5. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

One way to fix it till you get a new one Is to get you a thin needle push it up the wire that goes in the plug. Then push other end on the needle. Then apply a sealer/tape to the wire

I have done this till I could get a replacement.

6. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

That looks pretty tough. The right way to fix it, as stated, is get a new wiring harness.

If you wanted to try to fix it without a new plug: here is what to do if you are good with a soldering iron.

1. Cleanly cut the wire at the break, and drill a small hole in the overmold next to the broken wire. Try to get a nice amount of the wire exposed on one side.

2. Tin the wire, you may have to use acid core solder, the wire looks corroded. ( you can solder black wires with acid core, it's just very corrosive compared to rosin core) You will need to clean the acid out with carb cleaner or something afterward, to keep the wire from corroding from the acid.

3. Tin a short piece (several inches) of wire, and lap splice it (overlap the two tinned wires, and reflow the solder) to the wire on the plug.

4. Trim back the jacket on the wire bundle, and lap splice (cover with heat shrink before completing splice) to the harness several inches up from the plug.

5. Expect it to not last forever.

7. critter

critter Junior Member
    from 01757

thanks for the quick replies i tried to cut the plug back i exposed about a 1/2 inch of wire but its all corroded i just went and bought a new harness 160$ ouch but its already installed hopefully it snows this weekend to pay it back

8. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

You fixed it right, good for peace of mind. You'll make it back. Good luck this winter.

9. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Repair harnesses aren't cheap :dizzy:

10. critter

critter Junior Member
    from 01757

i hooked up the plow this morning to bring it to work so i can finish replacing the bulb housing for the blinkers and noticed from the reflection of glass from the building that while my daytime running lights are on the headlights on plow are on dim then if i switch to low beam the lights are normal bright and the daytime shut off and if i switch to high beam only the drivers side switches the low stays same

truck is a 06 chevy dmax by the way

11. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Bite the bullet and buy a new one. Any fix will fail when you need it most!

12. critter

critter Junior Member
    from 01757

i did buy a new cable