1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wireless service

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Arc Burn, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I've got Cellular One now because they seem to have the only service in my area and it sucks.I know coverage areas are different but what are you guys using/paying and are you happy with your current provider?

A buddy of mine has a plan from Verizon he got when he lived in Syracuse NY for a year and even though they do not list coverage for my area,he gets better reception than my Cell One:realmad: I don't know about you guys,but i would gladly pay top dollar for a reliable service.
  2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

A lot of guys use Nextel. I dump it cause of the awful service. I use Verizon exclusively. We pay a bit extra for the free unlimited cell to cell minutes but it is worth it. Never drop or miss calls and I have been all over the country.

I hear now that Verizon will soon have two-way like Nextel. Sounds good to me.
  3. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Poor Service

Same thing here with our service, US. Cellular. Poor receiption; dropped calls. I have to stand outside most of the time to get a signal and still hope to calls not dropped. They have even removed whole service areas from my regular calling package without notice. When you complain they give you free extra mins, which makes you want to stay and use them up rather then changing companies. I just came back from Buffalo with one of my customers who has Verizon and he had regular service the whole time, even in the elevator! And this was at no extra cost, included on his $49 dollar plan. I think I'll try to hold out until November when they say that you'll be able to keep your phone number when you switch providers. :rolleyes: John.....
  4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

We use T-Mobile service is ok just can't get out at my house .We have five phones ,weekends free phone to phone free and free long distance,no roaming charges and they gave us the phones did not pay for them,and 800 min to split between the 5 for around $110 a month.
  5. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

I second Fireman vote. I have Verizon, and one of the Audiovox phones that can do both analog and digital signals, depending on the stronger in the area. I rarely, if ever, miss or drop a call.
  6. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I have also used my Verizon all over the country with no problems. Nextel around here used to be great for the 2-way, but lousy for the phone. I had heard their phone coverage has gotten better over the past couple of years, so it might be an option around here now. I know quite a few people that had Nextel for the 2-way & separate cell phone from another provider to use for phone calls LOL. But I will stick with Verizon & it will be a nice bonus if they come through with 2-way like Nextel.
  7. JML

JML PlowSite.com Veteran

We use Nextel, here.. The only thing that stinks about them is there customer service is HORRIBLE.... If you got a problem on your bill plan on spending 3 hours on the phone... But as for there service its great, if I lost 3 calls a month thats a lot....
  8. Arc Burn

OK,here's a twist,I am extremely ruraly located which is part of my service problem.How many of you guys are in heavily populated areas vs something like my situation?

Alot of the service maps i see have heavy coverage following major roadways,none of which i'm near:rolleyes:
  9. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a nextel. It has great service in most of the town, and it keeps getting better as they're adding more towers in town. I use almost 1000 2 way minutes a month and around 100 phone minutes a month. I like being able to just click the button and talk to my boss, talk to my co workers, suppliers, etc.

I talk to John Dimartino on the 2 way, and i've talked to my boss when i was in PA and he was at Laconia,NH. The 2 way service will be nation wide pretty soon. I don't mind paying the price for easy communication with people. To think 1100 cell minutes, that would probably cost a lot more than i'm currently paying for nextel. I also have more minutes on the plan than what i use. That's good, because i'm always adding more people to my 2 way list.

Go with whatever phone works in your area. Nextel has some dead zones in the valleys, but so do all the other cell phone companies.

10. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I'd say Verizon has the overall best signal in NY. There aren't too many places that they don't cover.

Everyone I know that has Cellular One says it sucks, but they are stuck in a contract. I have difficulty speaking with them because the service drops in and out.

I use Nextel, I get a decent signal in the areas I travel in most of the time. If I go about 40 minutes north, however, the service drops out entirely. I get 500 anytime cellular minutes, unlimited nights & weekends cellular, free incoming calls, free long distance, free voice mail and unlimited 2 way for $53/month.

Try some of the other companies out. Explain your situation and that you are considering switching and ask for a demo phone. I kept a Nextel phone for a week on trial to be sure there was coverage in the areas I need it. Anyplace that wants your business will be accommodating.
  11. Arc Burn

Hey Pelican,40 minutes north would put you were?The reason i ask is i think you would be pushing close to me and the "dead" zones.
  12. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

When I'm in Pine Plains, I have "No Service".

This will vary from east to west, I know in and around Kingston, the service is good. Best thing to do is ask for a demo.
  13. PDQ Pete

PDQ Pete Senior Member

Sprint has funny commercials but the service is pretty crappy.
    I go a about 90 miles from home 3 times a month and the dam thing is worthless it says no service or roaming.
    Then when it does get a signal I here it say verizon wireless. It can take over 5 minutes to make a call Pete :drinkup:
  14. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Used to have Sprint service, customer service went in to the gutter. I got rid of Sprint and got T-mobile.

T-Mobile in my area (Kansas City) is great, customer service is excellent.

15. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Never drop a call here :waving: Over 15 years tried almost all of them ;) very happy with ALLTEL :cool:
  16. ZMC

ZMC Junior Member

I use Nextel. The plan I have gives me 1000 anytime minutes, unlimited nite & weekend minutes, long distance included in 1000 minutes and unlimited direct connect minutes. I pay $54.99 a month. I alshave voice mail and caller ID. I understand that thay do not offer this paln anymore. The closest plan will cost $59.99 and you pay for long distance.

Arc Burn,actually anybody, if you are not satisfied with your service, e-mail me I have some connections will cell service, all over the country.

17. drobson

drobson Senior Member

I used to have Sprint, but the coverage stunk so I took the opportunity to switch to Nextel to have the 2 way. I like the coverage much better and the 2 way is great.

cat320 - I have used many cellular carriers over the last few years and for some reason none of them get any coverage in the Stoneham area.. don't know why, but I have not had one yet that worked well in Stoneham.
  18. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Dan certain areas are just bad like near Wiess farms I always loose the signal there with what ever carriar I had.My cousin had nextel and he could not get out from inside his house only if he went outside would it work .
  19. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

That's funny you dont have good luck w/sprint that is the best provider i have had in my part of the country. I have had the others in the past and no luck. I think I live in the pooret cell service in the country . Can you hear me now.......Hell no!
  20. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Over the last 10 years i have had Cellular one, Sprint and Nextel. Always having crappy service with each one (i had no service in my house and had to hang up on people driving down certain roads for as long as 10 min.) I switched to Verizon last year and have never lost a signal since. The cell to cell plan is a great feature.