1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wireless remote

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by Jeff Lange, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Jeff Lange

Jeff Lange Junior Member
    from nj

Should I get the wireless handheld? Is it reliable? Has anyone experienced problems with it. Is it smarter just to stick with the wired.

2. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

Jeff,we Have All Different Types Of Controls(two Stick Meyer,western Unistick,meyer Keypad,dump Trucks With Hyd Levers ,)i Have Found That I Actually Like One Sticks That Are Secured To The Truck,i Know Where That Stick Is The Whole Time It Will Never Fall On The Floor Or Get Lost In Your Pile Of Coats Behind Seat-you Have To Be Ready To Switch That Plow Even When Least Expected Like In Traffic-i Dont Like The Thought I Have To Search For The Remote But I Bet They Are Nice.
  3. addicted

addicted Senior Member

Wired or wireless, it is the same remote, just one has a chord. Both could be velcroed to the dash. I only used mine once so far, in my work parking lot after that inch came down last week, just to test everything out. No problems, but havn't really given it the shake down yet. I can say that having it in the front when hooking up the plow is a huge time saver, and not having to poke another hole in the firewall is always good:nod:
  4. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

I'm with you. I have mine also velcroed to my dash and so far it works great! Plus being able to use it outside is very nice. I love to stand outside of the truck and show others how the plow works. When I don't need it, it's going in the glove box, and the kids don't get to touch it, LOL
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I've made a roll of duct tape, sticky side out, then stuck it to my center console. When done I'd rip the tape and stick the control in the console. When I added the Snow EX controls I made a removable stand and Velcro'd the control to that. I don't like constantly leaning forward for the control. Gets to my shoulder. I hate the old Meyer dash mount twin lever control. Had a 88 Dodge with the Meyer factory pack, my left shoulder would ache for days.
  6. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Wired or wireless?

Only Sno-Way gives you this choice. The controls look and operate identical other than the wired version having a cord. Some people like the peace of mind of having a solid wired connection all the way out to the plow, and others have become so accustomed to tv, vcr, and dvd controls that the wireless makes sense. If you go with the wireless it will operate off of 2 AA type batteries. I would recommend that you always keep a fresh set of batteries in the vehicle as a backup. If the batteries become too weak the plow will not operate. The signal sent to the receiver becomes too weak. Also the wireless will provide more flexibility when hooking up the plow, or aid in any potential trouble shooting that may be required. If you need any further information let me know.

Tom O'Brien
    Western District Sales Manager
    Sno-Way International Inc.
  7. Farmer_01

Farmer_01 Member

Hi Jeff,
    I got a new wireless remote when I got my plow, so far I like it a lot. I had problems with the first week of use with slow response, like waiting a second or so for the plow to move. At first I tolerated it because I thought this was normal. Then I was using it and I noticed I was having to move the remote around while inside the cab trying to get the plow to move with no response. I took it back to the dealer who installed it and showed him what was happening.He called the snoway service desk and asked them if there were any outstanding probs with other wireless controls. The service man told him that sometimes the wireless remote didn't work on vehicles because of the vehicle electronics may be causing some interference.

My truck is an ST, doesn't have all the options. the service center told him to replace the remote and the control unit on my unit and if that doesn't help that I would have to go wired.He pulled one off the shelf installed a new control and remote and it's been working fine ever since.:drinkup:
  8. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

2 remotes in 4 seasons

I like the wireless remote, we are on our second unit in 4 seasons. They are not cheap and plowing without a spare unit is always a risk!
  9. Jeff Lange

Jeff Lange Junior Member
    from nj

How much is a replacement remote.
  10. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

A new wireless remote runs around $230.00
  11. Jeff Lange

Jeff Lange Junior Member
    from nj

Thanks for everyones input. I am going with the wired control.
  12. beungood

beungood Member

Wireless is great

I have to say I like the wried remote. I was sceptical at first ,but ,after having used it in a good sized snowstorm it works awesome. And it works from several yards away. Just don't keep it in your pocket while wroking on the or around the plow.

13. Farmer_01

Farmer_01 Member

It's been a while since i checked back, but not I must agree with beungood.
    I am able to use my remote from about 80' away. It's funny when someone is walking close to my truck and here I am with my wireless remote in my pocket controlling the plow and they are a bit surprised.:jester:
  14. beungood

beungood Member

I have the other one too

I do also have the wired remote control system and also the control unit that goes along with it should my system ever go down. So far the remote has been flawless. It will start to act funny if the batteries are too week, but, a fresh set or two in the glove box solves that.