1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wireless Controller

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by pcs, Nov 1, 2009.

1. pcs

pcs Senior Member

Just picked up this 4.5 yd Swenson Spreader. It came with a wireless controller. Has anyone used this kind of controller before? It kind of scares me.

Swenson Spreader 09.JPG
  2. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I don't think that will fit in that short bed super duty??? hehehe

That's a nice looking sander. What's it going on?
  3. pcs

pcs Senior Member

Thanks Its going on a 05 International 4300 with a Hook Lift
  4. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

to me wireless mean something else that can go wrong ! You still have to wire power to it so i dont think it's saving much time. But less wires = less shorts, broken wires, bad connections.
    Will be interested to here your feed back after some salting
  5. JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker Member

i have a meyers with the wireless controller great idea but things still can go wrong. the controller is the size of a keychain car alarm controller, you don't know how much i'm searching for that thing in the truck. Lost it a couple of times getting in an out of the truck. Keep the other side that is hooked up by the motor clear from sand because you will have a problem with it getting the signal from the controller. at the end of the season i had another problem but still have yet to figure it out. good luck with it
  6. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

We had one truck with the wireless controller and it had its pros and cons. I like it because it wasn't extra wires and hardware in my truck so it never got in the way. The controller worked well to start the engine and rev it up and down as well as turn it off, but I did have issues from time to time getting it to engage and disengage the clutch. The clutch problem wasn't all of the time but it did happen. I would also suggest tethering the controller to something in your truck so that you don't loose it due to the controller being the size of a key less entry remote for a truck. From my experience I have liked the Swenson spreaders and haven't had very many issues with them. Just be sure to grease your zirks and lube the chain after every storm to keep it from binding up or breaking a chain on you.