1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wireless Backup Cameras

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by blackjack219, Nov 27, 2009.

1. blackjack219

blackjack219 Member

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone runs a backup camera while plowing, I know, "use your mirrors" but I have a bunch small and tight driveways this year if anyone has any pics or recommendations thanks
  2. shaunnshelly

shaunnshelly Senior Member

I have been tossing around the idea for the salt truck.. Some times the extra 3" you can go back makes a HUGE difference.. I always use my mirrors to back up.. Have done that since I was 16.. To lazy to turn around and look out back window..
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Walsmart 99.00
  4. pushin 4 u

pushin 4 u Member

when i bought the crew cab it had a back-up camera on it...liked it...can't use it with the western low-pro 1000 so i went to autozone and bought a Peak wireless camera and mounted it to the spreader. It's not as nice as the f350's but it'll do the trick. only problem with it is that there is absolutly no depth perception...could be an issue until i get used to it.
  5. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Any problems or interference that any one can report of using the wireless?
  6. F150dash

F150dash Member

The camera's work well if you keep them cleaned off all the time. They also get interference from wireless modems and wireless security cams. I can drive around and pick up companies security cams. If the homeowner where you are working has wireless Internet that will make them roll the screen, or at least mine does. I can't use mine in my yard to hook my cargo up as it just rolls the screen once I leave my yard it is fine. They do serve there purpose though. Hope this helps.
  7. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

So you can actually see what the businesses security camera is looking at?
  8. F150dash

F150dash Member

Yeah when I drive by the local hardware store I can see what there cam is looking at and the paint recycling plants cams. It's no different then ppl driving around picking up ppls wi fi. The cam will pick up the wireless signal. I love my cam for hooking up the cargo by myself, but I wish it was mounted in the tailgate handle like the factory ones are, would give a better view.
  9. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

You can get camera's that mount in the handle just like factory. We have an aftermarket guy that installs those for us.
  10. Fire_n_Ice

Fire_n_Ice Senior Member

Whats the damage to retro-fit one into a 2008 F350? I hav been seriously considering it! (i.e. price)
  11. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I had one for a 12ft grainbody 550 I used to plow and salt with. It was great until it got dirty, and it happened really fast, I had it mounted to the engine cover of my spreader, I might have had better luck if I moved it around but I gave up on it.
  12. cseutah

cseutah Member
    from Utah

i have them on all my spreader trucks that toggle between the hopper and the back distribution area. its handy for monitoring your spreader and ice-melter when you run 4 ton spreaders. you do get some interference but not alot.
  13. Winter Cleanup

Winter Cleanup Junior Member

I have a wired backup cam on my 96 F250. I mounted it above my license plate and ran the wires into my cab where I plugged it into my jensen in dash dvd player. Whole set up cost me about $200/250 off ebay and an hour or two to complete. I use my mirrors cause thats what I know and trust but its nice having the monitor to glance at for that extra piece of mind that nobody's directly behind you.
  14. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

This is like a 3 day sale--I'm gonna order one.

http://www.jcwhitney.com Its the PEAK unit, on half price $49.99 and free shipping... :D
  15. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

I have a wireless unit as well, I think it's the only model that canadian tire sells right now... it picks up wireless video feeds as well from security cameras, etc... and wireless routers kick it on with a blue screen too... other than that it works pretty good, I have not had it in the snow yet to see how it will work, but it's great for hooking onto trailers without a spotter... At my marina, I have started using the truck again a little more for moving boats around the yard since its much easier to hook up, before the cam I used the forklift much more...

16. GatorDL55

GatorDL55 Senior Member

The problem is that they are all working on a 2.4Ghz signal.
  17. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I'll call my guy and ask him.