1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wireless 29 series PROBLEM!

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by procareLM, Jan 14, 2010.

1. procareLM

procareLM Junior Member
    from Ohio

Here is one for you.

I was plowing the other day with my wireless 29 series snoway plow. I noticed the plow becoming a little delayed in response. The problem got progressively worse until the plow would not function at all. Wiggling the power cord seemed to help a little bit; however, the plow was still delayed in response. I called in another of my plow trucks to finish plowing and continued to another job to spread salt.

While speading salt my truck battery went dead. I put a new alternator on the truck and it ran great.

Then, I decided to fix the plow problem. I suspected that the power cord connections were bad so I cut off the terminals and hard wired the connections. The plow then would work intermittently (moving about 6 inches at a time after pushing the button about a dozen times).

Then, I replaced the batteries in the controller (fresh energizers) with no better results.

By this time the snow event was over and I parked the truck in my shop for later troubleshooting.

I came back the next day and the plow worked fine for about a minute; then the same simptoms continued.

I cleaned all the ground and hot wire connections and tightened them securely.

I called a snoway dealer and they told me that they recently found a problem with many of the plows with the same symptoms. They said that the wire leading to the fuse on the plow was faulty in about half of the plows brought to them this year. I replaced the wire, the fuse housing, and fuse. I still had the same symptoms.

I then decided to jump across the terminals on the solinoid to make sure that I could get power to the motor. I was able to jump across the solinoid and operate the plow normally.

Shortly thereafter I tried to operate the plow again without jumping across the solenoid. When i turned the remote on the motor on the plow motor ran continuously and would not shut off. I could operate the plow normally while the motor was running continuously and I noticed that the motor would shut off when i turn the wireless controller off.

Then I decided to replace the solonoid, thinking that it was stuck open. This did not help. The motor still ran continuously.

I then programmed a different wireless remote to the plow to eliminate the posibillity of a faulty remote. There was no difference in the symptoms.

This is where I am now. The dealer says all symptoms are pointing towards a bad receiver module. I'd rather not sink the money into a new receiver module if the problem is somewhere else. What do you think?

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Disconnect the brown wire from the 12 volt motor soleniod, now what happens?

3. procareLM

procareLM Junior Member
    from Ohio

Basher, this afternoon I will disconnect the brown wire and let you know what happens...thanks

4. procareLM

procareLM Junior Member
    from Ohio

Basher, I disconnected the brown wire and now I have no power to the motor unless I cross the wires on the solinoid. Also, I have no power to the receiver module. I tried to resync my controller to the module and the led light on the module will not come on. I'm at a loss.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Reattach the brown wire, does it run immediately? if so I'd guess you need a new module.

Your dealer should have a test unit to check your diagnosis. If it is bad have your dealer check for the causation. A bad coils, sticking valve, corroded, shorting wires, a bad ground or two, these are low amprage units, excessive draw will burn things up inside.

6. procareLM

procareLM Junior Member
    from Ohio

ok, problem solved. The control module was bad. I replaced the module and switched to a wired controller. The wired controller is much more responsive than the wireless. Thanks for the help basher.