1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wireing Question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by MegaCabMike, Oct 23, 2012.

1. MegaCabMike

MegaCabMike Junior Member

I got a mount and a harness plus iso module from a 2003 dodge ram. The fram was the same as the 06 but the headlights are different. Got the mount on and wires run. Can i just cut the plug ends off for the headlights and hardwire them in instead of spending 200 on a new harness. everything looks the same. It came off a 2003 dodge ram 2500 Hemi and going on a 2006 Mega Cab Hemi.

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like a bad idea if done wrong. I would spent the money and I do a lot of wiring

3. MegaCabMike

Looking at the schematics its just cutting off the plugs for the headlights and connecting the wires. All that is different is the bulbs which lend to a different plug. All the wires are labeled. It would be cutting and splicing in 3 wires at each headlight into the harness plus the park and turn which youhave to do anyway.

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If your old harness is from a single headlight (one on each side) and the new truck is the same then you could get away with that if you are careful and don't mix up the wires; however, if the old has single lights and the new has doubles (or vise versa) I wouldn't recommend it. Just cut off the old plugs, hard splice the harness to the cut ends and use the same plugs you cut off to splice on to the ends of the Western headlight harness so you can plug that into the bulbs effectively.

5. MegaCabMike

They both have single lights. The new truck calls for a 29049 harness and I have a 29050. I was going to cut the plugs and wire to existing plugs on the new truck for simple install and just watch and check each wire. I can see any difference in the two besides the plugs. Its 3 wires, high, low, common. just have to match those up.

6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Three wires, should be easy, and with single lights in both old and new it can be done. The only difference between the two harnesses you list is the headlamp plugs. For $200 I would do it.

7. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

I wouldn't spend the 200 bucks if you know a bit about wiring. Just switch the wires around in the plug so the pins all match up to the right wire