1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wireing Meyer change over relays

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by pet9782, Dec 6, 2015.

1. pet9782

pet9782 Junior Member

I am switching the headlight relays to the new style because one blew a low beam fuse last season.

I know I have to change out the B wire lead (parking/turn signal and relay trip from the switch) because the new style now has a 12V power lead from the battery.

Does anyone know if I can bring the left side relay power lead from the battery then tap into that lead with the right side's lead for the right side's power? The directions show both left and right going to the battery but the lead from the right side is too short to make it the battery.

I don't really want to just add on 4 extra feet of wire because 1) extra splices where shorts/corrosion can start and 2) the leads are already fused at the "battery" end and the extra 4 feet will be not be fuse protected.
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

You could tap into the other wire, however I wouldn't.
    Why not run another wire and fuse to the other light?
    Do you have to go all the way to the battery?
    Is the plow solenoid close? Any other hearty 12v source around you can tap into?
  3. pet9782

pet9782 Junior Member

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately the plow relay is mounted to the firewall and farther than the battery. Meyer put the fuse in the line already so I'd have to cut that fuse off and then butt connect in a 4 foot piece of wire to extend it.

But thinking about it now probably the 2 butt connections with heat shrink will be better sealed than those squeeze closed quick splice connections.
  4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Why can you add another fuse?

Use these, I've been using this type for years. This is just an example.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015