1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wire vibrator to 4-pin trailer plug

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by mreinsmith, Feb 15, 2015.

1. mreinsmith

mreinsmith Junior Member

I would like to buy a small hopper vibrator for my hitch mount salt spreader

For example the Vibco DC-20 (or any other suggestions you might have)

Does anyone have any idea how I could wire it up to use my 4-pin trailer plug for power?

Thanks

M

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Generally the wire and fuses for the trailer plug are to small to handle even a small vibrator. The 4 wire is only gnd, parking, brake and turn.
    Personally I'd still do a switch and relay, that way it's still separate from everything else.

3. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

I have never hooked one of these up so I looked this model up. The circuits from the four wire plug should handle the amount of juice needed to power this unit, BUT as Dieselss stated the function of this plug is tail lights, brake/turn signals and ground. If you use that plug then which ever wire you hook it to (say the one for left turn) every time you step on the brake pedal or put on your left turn signal it will trigger the vibrator, so then you would have to keep getting in and out to plug or unplug it when you want to use it. Also if your hopper on the spreader is one of the plastic ones it may not work well, as the plastic will flex to much to actually shake the hopper.