1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wire harness

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jagrunner2602, Sep 13, 2003.

1. jagrunner2602

jagrunner2602 Junior Member

Presently have a 1988 f250 with a minute mount plow that I bought back in 1996.

Looking to take my existing Minute Mount plow and use on a new F350..

Can I reuse my existing wire harness with the control for this 2004 F350? If not, where would be the best place to get the correct harness..

Also, need to get a new undermount bracket to attach plow for the new truck.

thanks for your time in advance..

Jag

2. Santo

Santo Banned

You will need to get a new clevis frame for the '04.Why not go the extra mile and buy all new? This way the chances of breakdown are very slim.

3. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I would go with new wiring harness. Just about everytime when I take out old wires, they are dirty and sometime hard to identify, so I just simply throw it out and install with new wirings. Can't hurt to do that and it cost only very little. Wouldn't it be nice knowing that you have new wiring harness so there are much less chance of breakdown which may be costly for you if something ever happen with the old wires.

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

jagrunner, which harness are you talking about?

The pump harness is usually universal and could be reused, but the headlight harnesses today vs. those of '96 are much different. In '96, a simple switch was used to switch from truck to plow lights, but today most systems use a relay and plug in to the factory headlight harness. I think it may have to do with the elaborate computerized control systems in today's vehicles, an improperly wired accessory can cause problems in this area.

5. jagrunner2602

THanks Steve..

Just curious if the old set from my 88 F250 fit the new truck.

Where's the best place online to get a new harness along with a new clevis frame..

thanks for your time...

JAG

6. jagrunner2602

Oop's

I'm talking about the electrical harness from the control to the two sockets.. I had this install but want to attempt this on my own..

thanks...

7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I would think that could be reused, it should just require a hook up to the battery and then to the controller. If it's in good shape, I'd use it again, they aren't cheap.

Central Parts Warehouse has the items you're looking for, however, check the price with them vs. your local dealer. Some items they are good on , others are high, and don't forget to factor in shipping.

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Jag, you can easily reuse the 96 plow. All you need is the headlight harness for the 04. If the new one has DRL' s there may be another issue you need to deal with. Also get the truck side plow forks for the 04,you should be able to trade your 88s in,or sell them outright to make up some of the difference. The headlights should switch by themselves on the 88, the plow is a minute mount,and they all used that setup. My 84 S10';s plow lights switched when you pluged in the plow harness. The main harness and controller are the same,no reason to change them. The headlight harness should run you 50-90 dollars,and you sometimes can get them used,same with the truck side mount.

9. jagrunner2602

The reason why i asked is that the Ford dealer said my current harness probably wouldn't fit the new truck.This harness I have now is in great condition..
    .Also the dealer wanted me to get a new Minute mount 2 plow for the new truck when my current plow is in great condition and know that it would be fine on the F350 SD diesel. Salesman drive me nuts..

thanks for the great info..

JAG

10. jagrunner2602

John,,

Thanks for this great info.. Looking forward on getting this done on the new truck..

JAG

11. Santo

Santo Banned

A pump harness is at the most $20.00 . I cant relate to these hole-in-the-wall remedies other people are mentioning,I dont think they would tape anything on their truck.It is a brand new truck.Common sense here is what were lacking.Wires are not to be handed down from generation to generation.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2003
  12. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I took a look back Santo, duct tape was not mentioned until your post. By your reasoning, why bother to transfer anything at all? He just bought a $40,000 truck, what's another $4000 for a new plow?

I transferred a plow from one truck to another a number of years ago and got 5 years of trouble free service from it with the original harness! Sold the truck with the plow, it's still working fine today.

I love it how some try to tell others how to spend their money!

Common sense? Common sense tells me that a member with such a checkered past ought to be concerned with his method of posting, and avoid insulting the rest of the membership here!

13. jagrunner2602

Your correct about that.. I'm going to see if I can pickup a new Peculiar Attachment for the SD F350 either locally or online and install myself along with using the same harness with the exepection of the light harness. Fisherplows.com has PDF installation instructions. I haven't had any luck finding these online and might have to go locally and trade in my old for new..

JAG

14. Santo

Santo Banned

Jag, believe me you'll be much better off with piece of mind knowing there are no FRAYED or SHORTED wires on your truck.Wires are probably the most difficult to troubleshoot , especially out in the field with undesirable weather.Have fun and good luck this season.

15. jagrunner2602

Santo,

Appreciate the advice. I carefully checked out the existing harness and it is in great shape..

Again,,

thank you

16. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Jag,since you have inspected your oringinal harness and found it in good condition,usei t.The pump harness is 33 dollars,again if yours is good,why bother buying a new one.If you pack the connectors with dielectric grease like your suposed to,the harness should be in great shape. I have transfered my 93 Fisher 7.5 RD on 4 different trucks over 10 yrs,I never bouight a new harness,and i never had a problem with it at any time.

17. jagrunner2602

John,

That's great. Yes I do pack with grease.. Well maintained throughout the years.

jag

18. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I switched my V-plow from a GMC to a Dodge, the main harness was easy to switch, you will need the little tool that came with the plow to disconnect the wires from the connector where the Fish Stick or controller plugs in, It's a little piece of tube with a red end on it that you push in the connector to free the wires. You will need the headlight harness for the new truck, and of course the frame mounts, they can be a bit pricey If the wiring harness is in good condition don't waste the money on a new one, and use lots of dielectric grease on EVERY connection, especially the headlight relays, also depending on how much time you have on the plow you might want to invest in a new soleniod, and keep the old one for a spare. These are only known to fail between 3 am and 7am on weekends, so if you only plow when the dealers open skip this expense.:D
    Bill

Last edited: Sep 15, 2003
  19. jagrunner2602

Thanks for taking the time to share this advice. Being that I wasn't the one to install this on my truck, your advice will make it quite easier..

Thanks Bill,,

JAG