1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wire Clarification

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by GOS123, Jan 4, 2005.

1. GOS123

GOS123 Junior Member

I've been trying to get my '92 Chevy 1500 V6 to start now for a couple of weeks. I pulled the ignition coil off, had it tested, and replaced it because it was bad. Well, when I went to plug the hard plastic lock wires, which I believe one to run to my ignition switch and the other to my tachometer, I can't seem to get it back together right because there is a wire that is bundled with what I think to be the tachometer wires that doesn't seem to go anywhere on my ignition coil. It has a hard, black plastic cover but it is skinny and flat and looks to have a groove in the inside but I can't figure out how it fits on the complex. Is this a ground? or did I break the lock wires getting them off?

Also, while I had the breather off and was draped over the engine looking back behind where my coil and distributor are (back towards the firewall) I saw a thicker purple wire that has a long, black hard plastic cover on it and it seems to not be connected but I can't tell where on earth it would go. It's too short to reach very far and the inside doesn't look like it's had any use (metal isn't clean). Is this simply where I plug up a diagnostic reader or should I be concerned about it? I traced the other end and it seems to lead down to the back left side of my engine. and it's the only purple wire around there as well.

Thanks for the help/advice to all those who reply.
  2. skidsteerloader

skidsteerloader Junior Member

Does your coil sit ontop of the dist. cap? like the earlier HEI coils, if so Plug in the main harness (should only fit one way) then I believe the extra wire you are talking about plugs in on the side of the main plug. (sort of piggyback style) Good luck- hope this helps.