1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wire cable breaking

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by Dennis Blake, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Dennis Blake

Dennis Blake Junior Member
    from Toronto

The wire rope on my ATV plow keeps breaking even after upgrading to a 7/32" cable. The cable seems to bind, then run the wrong and snap. I'm thinking of changing to a synthetic rope for the plowing season. Any suggestions?

2. g.moore

g.moore Senior Member

I carry a 5/16 nut driver and wire rope clamps to repair mine, it breaks about every 2 weeks. Planning on going synthetic, just remember to change to a Hoss fairlead if you do, the synthetic doesn't like the roller.

3. RLTimbs

RLTimbs Member

I've never had one break.. and I use mine alot

4. banksl&s

banksl&s Member

Mine's broke twice this year already, like g.moore said carry clamps and socket set to do repairs. A buddy of mine uses synthetic and said his has broke 8 or 10 times this year. I'm staying with cable.

5. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

bend

were does the cable bend and break ? can you add a cable sheave pulley at that point ,to ease the operation ?

6. fatcat2929

fatcat2929 Junior Member

I've been having the same problem this year. My cable on my winch has broken three times from binding. So instead of having it go straight from my winch, i have it go through a pulley. Has worked much better, it seems to have less strain on the winch to.

7. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

I had synthetic on my last quad. It worked awesome. I got it from here: http://www.rockstomper.com/catalog/recovery/ropes.htm
    I ran this rope for 3 years, never had a problem.

My current machine I don't have a plow on, however, if I put one on I will be switching to synthetic.

8. cnydreamr

cnydreamr Junior Member

i've switched to a strap made for boat hand winches, found at the farm supply store for around $30. it breaks now and again, but at the hook end. just cut off bad piece and retie it. it started out about 30 foot and is down to about 8ft after 3 years of use

9. sharpercut

sharpercut Junior Member
    from MD

Don't use your winch for the plow. You will pull it up too far and break the wire. We use two with winches and the operators break them every other storm. Buy the pull bar to raise and lower the plow. If the pull bar breaks then you have a winch for back up. The only reason we use the winch for the two is because they came with plows that can not use a pull bar. We though about using a thicker cable, but did not know if it would break still because of the pulling power ( I think its 2 tons), and would it be able to wind up inside the winch due the extra thickness and stiffness.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008