1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 04superduty, Jan 8, 2004.

1. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

has anyone used heated wipers?? I have found a couple of sites that list them and am wondering what experiences people have had with them.:D
  2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

nope i use annco winter blades with the defroster on
  3. 04superduty

i have winter blades, and have the defrost on to. my wipers still freeze up when its snowing.
  4. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

I have herd of them, they cost a lot. I'm sure they must work.

My blades froze up and broke last storm. It slightly scratched my windshield. Let me know if you try them.
  5. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

I tried a set several years ago on a Freightliner. They didn't freeze up but the heat rapidly deteriorated the rubber so they would not wipe the window very good.
  6. ih82plow

ih82plow Senior Member

I also run winter blades defroster on and window open A tad so I am not too hot. If snow builds up in my wiper area I just clear it out,

Winter blades are rubber sheathed wipers no visable metal for the ice to stick to

They work great and I remove them after plowing season
  7. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I just bought new all season wipers the other day for $9.00 and they work just fine. Don't see the need to spend a lot of money for blades that are heated when the ones I bought work just the same.:waving:
  8. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

there was just a thread on this subject a week or two ago. Do a search and you'll find more input about these wipers. From what people are saying, if you do get them, I'd set them up on a manual switch so you can turn them on and off, to prevent them from overheating and not wiping well. Nick.
  9. 04superduty

thanks for all the replies. not sure yet if i am going to try a set.
  10. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

It sounds like you just are trying to spend a lot of money. Get the truck, put the plow/spreader on it, along with strobes and anything else you need. Then look to see if the pocket book is deep enough. $9 blades are cheap, think of how many $ 9 pairs you could buy and destroy, just to pay for 1 set of heated blades.
  11. 04superduty

i have the truck, 9'2" boss v blade, with a small light bar on a back rack, but dont need a spreader. I call mulders and they spread salt for us. I just get tired of having wipers freezing up on me. I like to see real good when plowing:D paranoid about hitting stuff. From what I have seen, you buy the wiper kit, which cost about 72 plus S/H , but refills arnt that expensive. about 20 a set. i would take them off in the summer and run summer blades.:D :D i could buy 5 snow bear blades for what i spent on my plow. man that plow was expensive, kinda like a combine, only used a short time but cost a pretty penny. :D
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2004
  12. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

I work in a lube shop in the winter so I don't get board. I get my blades for free, so yes I put that free set on. But I do agree with you, visibility is a must, if these help, then they are worth the cost.

My blades froze up (3 yrs old) and broke in the middle of plowing so I would have appreciated having the heated blades that night.
  13. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

I know a guy that has them and says they work great. I am getting them for my trucks. I am sick of having to clear the regular ones off during the strom. I will spend a couple of dollars to make it easier on me. Based on your area it might pay off. If your area only gets 20" of snow per season you probably don't need them but if you get blizzards and/or 70" of snow per season then they will probably pay for them selfs.
  14. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

When you spend long hours in a plow truck any comfort or safety device you can add for reasonable cost ( 100.00 ) is a wise investment. If they work get em.