1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wipers not working

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DJ Contracting, Jan 29, 2009.

1. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Well my 93" Chevy truck wipers are acting up

Here's whats going on, they will work for awhile then stop for awhile, however this is very intermittent. It's only done this twice this year with at least a dozen or more events this year, anyway any help with diagnoses.
    The truck does have intermittent wipers.
  2. t.i.b

t.i.b Senior Member

my 92 had the same problem. wiper moter was on its way out. pretty easy fix though.

SKYNYRD Senior Member

this probably isn't going to be your problem but it wont hurt to check it anyway. the wipers on my 78 have been doing the same thing for a few years now. ended up being a partially broken wire going into the motor. like i said i doubt that's what is wrong with yours but check them anyway. good luck :)
  4. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I bought a wiper motor back in early Dec. when it acted up the first time however it didn't do it till yesterday so maybe I'll install it tomorrow
  5. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

Well one of are trucks 97 chevy had a recall on the wiper motor. same problem stated above. circuit board in motor has a crack in it. so the motor wasn't getting grounded. We fix it by simply running a wiring from the metal case to ground, like the mounting bolts. I really hate taking our trucks to the dealer. Since the last visit back when we bought it. We had some problems. One week later I was over looking the trucks. And found that the boots on the lower control arm were neatly cut. Most if not all work is done in shop. Not by some flat rate mechanic. Sorry
  6. te snow

te snow Member

Cicuit Board

This is a common problem and is usually caused by a faulty circuit board in the wiper motor. It's very simple to change. I'm not sure if it is more cost effective or if the part can be purchased at parts stores other than dealer. The wiper motor is mounted to the "firewall". To replace the circuit board
    1. Remove the electrical connector
    2. Remove the torx screws holding on the cover (2 or 3 screw don't recall)
    3. Remove the torx screws holding the circuit board to motor housing
    4. Remove circuit board
  7. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

I had the same problem with my '94 and two '97's. The circuit board in the wiper motor went. There was a TSB or recall (can't remember which) on them. The soldering on them wasn't that great and after time they would just go.

Try this if your wipers still aren't working........turn your wipers on, pop the hood and slap the wiper motor with you hand repeatedly. If they come on while your doing this then you know for sure the motor is bad. Worked for me every time.
  8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

It's probably that problem with the circuit board not grounding correctly...just run a jumper wire from the motor housing to the body right next to it and you should be all set...such an easy fix it's certainly worth a try. I had this problem on my truck and it solved the problem...took all of 10 mins...btw, be sure to grind off the paint in the small section where you are going to attach the wire to the body or else you still may not get a good ground connection! =]