1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wipers killing electrical

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by bpminc74, Jan 14, 2012.

1. bpminc74

bpminc74 Member

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has had this problem. I was just about done my last drive tonight with my 2000 f350 psd and turned the wipers on and noticed my lights go real dim. Left them on for about 30 secs. and the dash lit up like a christmas tree the the truck quit. I needed a boost to start. Let the truck run for 5 minutes or so and so I shut it off to see if it would fire back up and it did. Turned wipers back on with lights and plow off and same thing. Could it be the wiper motor shorting out? :help:

2. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

have you recently tapped into anything or had repair work done on it recently ?

3. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

I would check the alternator and battery conditions. Should be either one of them.

4. bpminc74

bpminc74 Member

I checked alt. with volt meter and it is putting out 14.55 volts. Both batteries are 6 months old.
    Truck runs fine with all lights on ( strobes,aux.55 amp back ups,plow lights,plow working.) As soon as I turn on wipers everything dies. Even when everything else is off. And I noticed that the wipers are real slow.

5. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I would think the wipers would blow a fuse before they would shut a truck down. Check your battery terminals and your ground wire.

6. bpminc74

bpminc74 Member

Good point. I checked both battery terminals and all is good. I willl take a look at the wiper motor and harness in the morning and let you know what I see. This is driving me nuts!

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Bad wiper motor or wiper motor ground. Seen it fairly often on the old 7.3's. When they get that bad they pull far too much power and it just happens to be on the same circuit as the ECM, thus it will shut the engine down and do all sorts of other strange things.

8. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

great to know ....thanks BB:mechanic:

9. bpminc74

bpminc74 Member

Thanks for the replies. I will take a look at the wiper motor today when it warms up a little.
    -30 c here now and I don't have a garage yet.:cry: I will let you know what I find.

10. bpminc74

bpminc74 Member

Well it finaly warmed up to -20 so I went out and did some poking around. I must have been half asleep last night because today when I tested alt. output with every thing on it's reading 11.6 volts! I guess I need a bigger alternator. First time this has happen to me. usually they just give out on me. Any ideas on what size I should get?

11. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

It still sounds like you have a wiper motor / ground issue though. Remember, you said turning the wipers on killed the thing. Make sure you don't have one problem causing the other. I always try to eliminate simple / less expensive problems first. Last time I checked, a bad ground was a freebie and a wiper motor was less than an alternator. Get my drift?

12. bpminc74

bpminc74 Member

Yeah good point Too Stroked. There is somthing screwy going on for sure because the truck has been running for about 20 minutes and I just tested output again with everything on and now getting 12.6 volts!??
    This time Ihave the wiper arms removed. Soon as I get warmed up I will test again with the arms back on to create more load on the motor.

13. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

When I had bad CPS which is Camshaft position sensor. When I turn on wiper during rain it cut off when drive. new CPS fix that.

Make sure all connectors are CLEAN and sand paper clean contact.

Those superduty with powerstroke are notorious for eat alternators and batteries due not clean connectors.

On these alternator I recommendation I go with this one. Add 110 amp fuse in cable for positive from alt to driver side battery.

[​IMG]

14. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

What was the voltage while the engine was running?

15. bpminc74

bpminc74 Member

With strobes and back up lights,heater,and everything else off and the truck at idle I get 14.65 volts. With every thing on it now only drops to 12.6 volts. This morning it was 11.6. Last night after plowing all day turned on wipers and the lights went dim and then the dash lit up with all the idiot lights then died. Maybe alternator couldn't keep up with plow and all the lights and heater and wipers all day and the batteries got run down? I let it run for over an hour today on fast idle so batteries are back up to full charge.

16. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

How old is the battery? Could be a bad cell in it.

17. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Do NOT sandpaper plated electrical connectors. The only connections one should even think about sand papering are the battery post connections. On most everything else, you'll remove the factory applied electroplating - which is there for corrosion ressistance. Once you do that, you're heading down a very slippery slope.

If you have corrosion on a connection that was originally electroplated, you're far better off replacing it - for the reason I mentioned above.

18. Milwaukee

Not to start fight.

Most them had RUSTED or green corrosion on it. I did that trick and it been fine for 1 1/2 year. I cover them in die electric grease they keep corrosion/rust out.

I don't believed Ford put electroplated on connectors. Then why they rusted and corrosion in first place? They work perfect like 5 years then it go downhill. Leave you strand when it sudden quit work.

I don't believed that myth you speak.

19. bpminc74

bpminc74 Member

Batteries are both about 6 months old. I will load test them tomorrow and check all connections again.

20. Milwaukee

I hope you use volt multi tester with ohm setting not visual test on each connectors. Thumbs Up