1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wipers in a storm.

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by tjctransport, Jan 23, 2016.

1. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

what do you all do to keep the wipers from turning into blocks of ice when plowing?
    i have tried winter blades, armless blades, wiper shakers, full defrost all the time, no defrost, and still have to get out and clean the blades off every 25 minutes or so.

2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Heated wipers

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Drive on sunny days.

Ever look it heated grid like a rear defog?

4. tjctransport

really? or are you just busting my chops.
    never had any problem with the 87 to 92 trucks, but the 02 is killing me

5. BossPlow2010

Yes really. I used winter blades as well, but I got the heated ones from everblades this year, and they get pretty hot. I haven't had a chance to try them out in a major snowfall, but from the few inches we've had, they've worked great. Lots of reviews on this blades too and there's a handful of people on here that use them.

6. tjctransport

ok, i will have to check them out.
    any idea in price?
    and everblade is the manufacturer?

7. BossPlow2010

140$
    Yea just google everblade wipers

8. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

9. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

10. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

I just did another thread on this and now have some heated wipers on the way. I think the newer the truck the more aerodynamic they make it. One result is the wipers are lower and actually below where the defroster can help them.

11. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

Mine are always frozen and side windows are always fogging up looking into the heated wipers

12. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Crack a window a little to let the moisture out.

13. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

I usally have both front windows open about an inch with the same issue

14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Get oot every 25 minutes.

15. GrowingSeasons

GrowingSeasons Junior Member

i keep an extra set of wipers with me and when the one set gets too iced up i switch them and thro them on the pass side floor board with the floor heat on. keeps the boots dry and the wipers dry too

16. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

My windows get crazy fogged up. So much so, I have to use a roll of paper towels to keep wiping the inside of the windows to just to be able to see at all.

If I stay in the truck, and don't get out to shovel, or use the blower, the windows stay clear. It's the getting out, during storms, getting wet, then getting back in that causes the issues. I have to run with the defroster on the entire time, otherwise I can't see at all. If I run in the truck only, I can use the "heat" only which allows me to not have the A/C compressor cycling.

17. tjctransport

this is only a problem with the 2000, 2002, and 2004 super duties. the 3 79's and the 88 don't do it

i saw a writeup on another site where the guys with the 08 and newer trucks are moving the wipers higher on the windshield to get them into the defroster zone on the windshield.
    but i don't see where that will be a viable option because then the wipers will go off the windshield on the top of the upstroke.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  18. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Odd, sounds like a even problem....:)

19. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

Slow down while plowing n get a deflector!

20. chevyhauler

chevyhauler Senior Member

everblades. I have used them before, good blades for ice.
    Switch them out for summer use since they are a lot more expensive than summer blades.
    just bought a set for my new truck (well new to ME).
    Just got done wiring a relay today where they can still get a full 30 amps but are triggered off of an ignition source. That way I can turn them on the night before a storm. Turn the truck off. Wipers turn off. Then when I hit the remote start in the morning, the wipers come on and thaw the crap.