1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wiper problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Morrissey snow removal, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

wipers work for about 30 seconds then nothin for a while changed motor intermintent module and switch? 95 powerstroke

2. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Can you hear wiper motor running?
    You check the fuse I am assuming. replace it even if it looks good

But take off wiper arms, Some have clips on bottom side others have a bolt on top that has a cover over it. Once you remove the wipers take off the cowl. Should be screw along it. U should be able to see if transmission is broken here. If it looks all intact. And when you turn motor on and nothing is happening. Hit the motor with a hammer a few times. Another thing is run a wire from the ground on your battery and touch it to motor casing. If you have a bad ground. Take motor off and clean off botom. Also running a second wire never hurts. If it starts up when you hit with hammer either motor is going or its a bad ground.

The clip on bottom off wiper can be released with a small screw driver or you can buy a tool at Autozone on that help stand they have. Only like 5 bucks for it

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  3. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

tryed grounding did not work motor is fine ???

4. BigDave12768

Are you getting power to motor? If you are you blew the motor they are simple to replace. they are about 50 with a core charge usually

U replaced the fuse right. Even if it looks good replace it

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  5. andyman0291

andyman0291 Senior Member

my wipers stopped working, i took off cowel, and see that the connecting bar from the motor on the drivers side, to the passenger side wiper, bent and popped off the ball joint type thing. how do i pop it back on? i have tried everything.

its a 2001 f250

6. BigDave12768

Push harder? J/k Can you get a set of channel locks around it? did it pop off near motor? Also if its bent you my have to remove it to straighten it first.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  7. BigDave12768

can u post a pic?

8. BigDave12768

Which part is bent or broken? FYI this is on Ebay

[​IMG]

9. andyman0291

i straightened it out, and its in a really bad positon for channel locks to get around it. im thinking like a small c-clamp maybe? but was wondering if this happend to anyone else before, or if anyone knows the proper way to do it. if i cant figure out how to do it, any estimates to how much to have the dealer do it? shouldnt be more than an hours work, cowel is still off.

10. BigDave12768

Oh yeah thats a common issue on plow trucks. You let too much snow build up under the wipers and it causes these problems. I know my Dodge was bolted to the motor and the rest were ball joint type set up. Unbolt it from motor so you can swing it around and get a set of channel locks on it. Also a little grease wouldnt hurt either.

11. andyman0291

its the part where the arrow is obv.

wiper.jpg

12. BigDave12768

OBV? Not sure what that means. and that may be wrong part

Hollander number: 621-00496
    Wiper Motor Not Included
    2000-01 Ford Excursion, manufactured 10/22/00 or before
    1999-01 Ford F250, F350, F450, F550, manufactured 10/22/00 or before

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  13. andyman0291

obviously haha. just shortened it up a lil

14. andyman0291

whats the link for the ebay ad?

15. BigDave12768

16. BigDave12768

If its connected in thepicture I would recomend removing the whole transmission and repairing off truck. Then reinstalling. Usually thats the easiest way. Should come out easy. Also the ball sockets are not worn out are they?

17. andyman0291

for 35 bucks, if i cant get it to snap back in, i might as well just buy the whole assembly.

18. andyman0291

how would i know if they were worn? i mean it was working perfecty fine until this little snag happend

19. BigDave12768

Yeah if its bent that bad. I would call the dealer or a parts store usually with shipping and waiting around. It easier and cheaper locally. But cant you just unbolt the assembly and pull it off truck. But keep in mind that its a ball socket set up and if you dont get it back perfectly straight more than likely it will wear a hole in side of the ball socket and you will have same problem down the road

20. BigDave12768

You would see a wear mark on the bottom of the ball socket where it wore through and easily pooped off. Or stretched out the opening a bit. But since you cant get it back on you maybe ok