1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wiper problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bristolturf, Feb 26, 2011.

1. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

Hey guys, so i was on my way home tonight, and were getting some snow right now, nothing heavy, but enough to have the wipers on. Anyways they were on low, and all of a sudden they just stopped, and you could just hear the motor vibrating. I tried to turn them off, higher, lower, everything no movement from the wipers only vibration from the motor.

Anyone experience a problem like this before?

2. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Make model year of truck would help a bit

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Used to happen to my 97 once in a while. Nut holding the transmission to the motor shaft would come loose and fall off. Of course it would happen in a parking lot during a snow storm, never had Loc-Tite on hand.

4. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Happened on my 98. I had to replace the circuit board in the motor.

5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Knuckle on the arms attached to the trans in my 07 Chevy, you can screw it out and replace with a bolt, the arms come with the trans attached so it's a $300 part, and not a fix for the back of the parking lot either. Gotta get all those plastic sheilds out of the way. First time took me 2.5hrs I'll know what I'm doing the next time.

(Best way to tell is if the wipers pull up and go back down but won't go up again.or vise versa)

6. bristolturf

its a 2005 chevy 2500 hd. Even with the wipers off, as soon as I turn the key in the ignition, I can hear this loud vibrating coming from the wipers. It stays on for about 5 seconds then stops. The wipers dont move at all, and when I turn on the wipers same thing. Even when I manually move them up or down, they dont do anything.

When I manually move them it sounds like they want to kick in, but they dont. I havent checked all of the fuses yet, but I dont think that is the problem.

7. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Happened to me as well. Try hitting the motor with a wrench or ice scrapper. Ended up just replacing the motor.
    BTW, I had the exact same symtoms. Just stopped working and then you could here the motor buzzing...correct? If I would hit the motor with an ice scrapper it would work again for a little while but would eventually stop again.

8. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Rockauto.com lists a wiper motor cover with circuit board for $65.

9. bristolturf

ya the motor buzzes, but its really loud. It sounds like a vibrator on a salter.

10. bristolturf

This morning I went out there to try tapping it with the ice scraper and when i started the truck same problems still, but now my check engine light comes on with a message reading reduced engine power. When I give it full gas, it maybe goes upto 2000 rpms