1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wiper Motors Interchangeability

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Rick Loncosky, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Rick Loncosky

Rick Loncosky Senior Member
    from 17557

Can I do a direct swap from a 1986 to a 1977 of the wiper motor. I see the washer tank/pump can be mounted somewhere close on the side. Is the mounting bolt pattern the same? Do I need to swap wiper arm linkage and everything. I'm hoping to just swap the motor & wiper arms to get the squirter's on the arms. Just because I have the parts truck.:D Thanks for any help you guys can provide.:drinkup: Rick.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

I did the same thing a few years ago restoring one of my Jimmy's.Yes you can do it.The wiper transmission,linkage and pivots are different,but the motor will work.You will have to rewire the washer pump,that's it.

Swap the column the and get the wiper switch on the turn signal lever.If it has interval wipers,you can add them too,it's just a little module that plugs into the wiper harness under the steering column at the bottom.

I'd keep the old arms though,and the squirters under the edge of the hood.They put out more fluid,and don't freeze up like the ones on the blades.I've had both,and the early style are better.It may be because the lines and nozzles are kept warmer from underhood heat.

3. Rick Loncosky

Rick Loncosky Senior Member
    from 17557

Chris, thanks a lot. :D I forgot about the intermittent wipers, wow how nice that will be! I was gonna yank the rear then junk her, now the column must be saved:cool:

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Don't chuck it until your sure you have everything you want.It usually after it's gone that you realize you forgot to take stuff off it. :D