1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

WINTERS Over?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Ole JIM, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

Well I guess? Winters over? still lots of Snow on the Ground!--but--w/the MUD season upon US!--my Dirt Yard is Now MUD!--& I couldn*t Plow It--if We had 2 feet of SNOW! & Waters running Every where!--& 05 was NOT a Good Money making Plowing Year!--not Here in central Maine Any-Way! I Hope? We don* get a Lot of RAIN over the next few Weeks? or People in the Low Lands are in Trouble?--YEH! I Guess? Its TIME to Put the Plow Away?--& Get the Mower Ready!--I was just at the Mower Sales & repair Shop!--& Looked over a Commerical Mower-Dono? the MAKE?--Big Yellow & Black Unit--Real Rugged--called the TANK!--Heavy Construction--lots of Diamond Plate!--w/ NO Plastic?-- I inquired but only person There was the Parts Lady!-- I Dono? being Retired I kinda GO for the Older Heavyer Stuff!--I just Bought a Huge Big Ole TORO Snow Blower off a Farmer! a Man Killer?--4 feet Wide--Big SUCKER!-it had been Sitting for couple of Yrs in His Barn!--Real Ratty Looking thing!--Orange Once!-Now w/All the Paint Pelling Off!--& Rust Spots all over it!--I asked? how Long since it was Started & RUN?--a couple of Yrs--& You won*t Believe This?--He the Farmer Chocked IT & let It Sit a Minute?--& gave It a PULL!--& It STARTED!--FIRST PULL!-- It Skipped a few Times & Ironed OUT & Ran Really GOOD!! UGLY Thing?--I asked if He wanted to SELL it?--DONO? as He hasn*t Used it for a couple of Yrs!--what Will YOU give?--I gave HIM avery LOW Offer! & too my Surprise! He Told ME to Back UP my Truck & He would Help Me Load IT! So next WINTER! if YOU Feel the Gound SHAKING? & SNOW Flying in All Directions?--& YOU See this Orange & Rusty Thing w/ an Ole MAN Hanging ON for Dear LIFE!--it most Likley is ME?--as I*M NOT going to Screw w/IT!-just Park It until I need IT!--as I don*t want to Foul things UP? by Attmpting to Spruce it UP!--NOPE! just Run It just like it IS!--My just Having IT should? Give Mother Nature a Big HEADACHE?--Dono? for SURE?? but its worth a Try? --Ole JIM--

2. Plow King

Plow King Senior Member

Yea, it sure is muddy out. Last night i went to go pull my trailer out of the yard. Truck got stuck, even in 4 wheel low it wasn't moving. Got it out, than got the truck i pulled it out with stuck. Finally this morning i got both trucks and my trailer out. I'm staying on pavement for awhile :gunsfiring:

3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I think winter is over, there is still plenty of snow here too but I can't wait until it melts. There is mud everywhere too, its a mess. Time to start cleaning things up in a few weeks.

4. dunedog

dunedog Senior Member

Sap's runnin',mud season is here and I put the plow on blocks, up back, for the summer today! :waving:

5. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

It ain't over until the grass is green. We have another couple months here. We did get a couple of warm days that melted a little snow on the south facing slopes but for the most part it is all still here. I just hope we don't get much more or I will have to shovel the roof :( .

6. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 Senior Member

i dunno, i think we could get a little more. We've gotten an april suprise before

7. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Hey Ole Jim,
    Getting a bit muddy up my way also. That mower you're looking at is a Cub Cadet. They've had the Tank out for a while now I believe. Seems to be a pretty good unit, haven't heard of any complaints about it. I have the Snapper Pro Fastback ZTR with 52" cut and 21hp Kawasaki, commercial unit that mows anything in it's way. Sounds like you got a great deal on that blower...if I feel the ground shake I'll know it's you firing up that big old brute! :dizzy: Good luck with it Jim.

Buck

8. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

--BUCK I was Impressed w/the TANK!--One RUGGED Unit!--& I assume? YOU know!--I*M a Tinkerer I got the Ole Huge Snow Blower!-because IT Started so EASY!--what a MONSTER!--I saw a TORRO --odd looking Thing!--a GUY was Runnunig IT as I waited for the Wife at Her Doctors Office!--Weird Looking RIG!--Mower in Front & a Curved Handel running Up & Back & Hes Standing on a Round Plate w/a Wheel under It!--Worked Great--went like H--L! & in NO Time He was DONE!--Big Lawn too!--I Gotta Get One of Those!--I have looked Over most of the New SNOW & LAWN Equipment--I*M NOT all that Fussy about the New STUFF!--Pretty Cheap in Quailty!-DONO? I like the Older Stuff a lot BETTER!--I Personally Need a Good Heavy Duty Simple Push Lawn Mower!--No EXTRAS!--Just One that Will Cut Tall HAY!--{Un-Mowerd Tall GRASS!} All Day & NOT Fall Appart!--I have been Buying the $99.99 Cheapies! at Wal-Mart--but only get a few weeks out of Them!--I like Getting OUT & Working a Little--but I spend more TIME Fixing JUNK than Working IT!-& seeing I*M Retired on a Fixed INCOME-I Can*t Afford the Good Quailty Stuff! Any Suggesions APPRICATED!--Off List--BADCAR@WEBTV.NET THANKS Ole JIM--

9. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Hey Ole Jim,
    Yeah that guy you saw standing on the round plate behind that walk behind mower...that's called a Velke or also known as a sulky. Pretty cool units. Jim, try going to some auction sales, farmers are known to have things like the DR Field & Brush mowers, or the older Jeri Mowers, they were popular back when I was a kid. My grandpa had one and that thing cut anything in it's path. Auctions will bring some pretty good deals on equipment, look into a couple. Good luck and hope all is going well with your wife's health. Take care buddy.

Buck

10. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

THANKS UpNorth--Wifes doing Great--& she put Up w/ Me for 40 yrs!--knows I*M a Tinkerer!--& Ole Equipment is my Soft spot--I just marvel at that ole Stuff--Simple & Does what its Supposed too!--as all the New Stuff I see has to Much Extras--that You don*t really Need!--I*LL give the Auctions a Try!--Thanks-- Ole JIM--