1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Winter's Comong!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by vintage steel, Jul 29, 2012.

1. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

Winter's Coming!

Winter's coming... That's my mantra, all summer long.
    I own a boat repair shop and make ALL of my money between April and October. all summer long, I bust my butt, to make enough money, so we can get through the winter. If my employees start getting frustrated with the hectic schedule and work load, I simply tell them "winter's coming" . They know we won't have any work in the winter.
    Last winter I delved into the wonderful world of snow removal, despite a record low snow fall and almost record high precipitation (it rained and rained), At the end of the season, I broke even and ended up with a free plow truck. Not ideal, but better than going backwards.
    I am currently building Truck #2 (Ford Bronco with an 8' Western) in hopes that this winter will bring more snow.
    I took out an add in the yellow pages and had a stamp made up. Iam stamping the back of my business cards with "SNO* PROBLEM Snow removal". every card I give out, should be advertisement for my plow business. I can also start stamping work orders this fall.

Tomorrow I am filing for an LLC and getting insurance quotes. Before snow flies, I will have both trucks painted the same and have them parked, on the street, in front of my shop ready to go.
    I hate winter but, I should be ready for it this year. Hell, maybe I'll start making money in winter. For now, I'll just keep stuffing cash under my mattress in hopes that we have enough to survive another North Idaho Winter.
    Cheers! :drinkup:
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012